Skip to main content

810 front fender shape

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Jan 2012 04:04 #21947 by stroker
Replied by stroker on topic Front fender shape
Pat- Thanks so much for taking the time explaining how to align a Cord front fender!

I have copied your reply and I will send it right over to John Dingee in Pepperell, MA

Pete

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
16 Jan 2012 19:11 #21934 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic 810 front fender shape
Interesting enough I am working on my 2nd Custom Beverly and working with this issue also.

The rear alignment is controlled by inner tie rod from fender brace to frame. The center is controlled by the fender hanger arm, and front is controlled by the bumper bar bolt and/or the fender to frame to transmission cover lower bracket (if it is there).

My procedure it to fit the fender and lower panel below the fence together with welting before installing, disassemble, and then mounting the panel on the frame, mount center fender hanger, and set fender and welt in place attaching them to the panel.

I do the same for the other side.

Next check measurements from floor to highest point in wheel opening. Make sure you are on a level floor and tires are the same and equally inflated. I make both fenders the same height and the rear of the fender looks nearly plumb. It may require bending the fender bracket or a shim. Install bolts and hand tighten.

I then install and adjust the rear tie rod from fender to frame and adjust to make rear of fender plumb up and down.

Third, check horizontal dimension between the tranmission cover (about 13-1/8" I think) and adjust both fenders equal distances from centerline of frame (there is usually a hole in the center of the frame to measure from) to accomodate cover. Also make sure both fenders are at the same height and that the transmission cover has clearance with the shifter arm when cover is installed (common shifting problem). It all of this is correct, the bumper back bar bolt holes should line up.

Lastly, mount the transmission cover and the fence and check that all items line up. If all is good, tighten everything up and recheck fit. Last install the hood, and adjust.

If you are working with all of the original sheet metal, things will be eassier than a bunch of different car parts. I have often have to trim or add material to parts to make a good fit. Be prepared to spend a weekend with two people to make this happen.

After you are all done, you can disassemble, paint, and then re-assemble.

Pat Leahy

• stroker
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Jan 2012 19:34 #21919 by stroker
810 front fender shape was created by stroker
Gents- 2241H is coming along nicely- maybe you'll even see it this year at Auburn! We're finalizing the front fenders- in prime so we can see the true shapes. I'm a real fussbudget and I see the left front fender, viewing from the back, close in that the back vertical "edge" has a tilt to the outside at the bottom about 3/8" (about a 3 degree angle). That part of the fender we never touched, so we think that's what originally came out of the factory.

Therefore, am I nuts to insist that my great body man should cut the fender down the vertical spine and reweld the rear of the fender truely vertical? Will anyone notice it as it is? (He's quite patient, but we're close to a conflict!)

Pete

pete rhoads, restoring 810 phaeton 2241 H