Skip to main content

Rare Cord in OCW

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2004 15:58 #1522 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic OCW Cord
I finally got a copy of the "Old Cars Weekly", March 18, 2004 with the article about the Richfield Station in California. The photo is small but I can tell it is not a factory rear spare tire on the S/C Cord Westchester. The tire is too high up and sticks out too far. The bumper bows out too much and the license tag and light are not mounted on the left rear fender. It is a very nice Cord but already has had a set of tires (blackwall) installed.

Atlantic Richfield, or just Richfield as it was known in the west, had some involvement with Cord. The old Auburn/Fuller dealership on Wilshire Blvd. in L.A. is/was used by Atlantic Richfield for many years.

Don't you wish you could go back and see these simple but elegant buildings like the station today? Well, just wait and this architecture will be new and come around again!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2004 02:11 #1464 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic Side mounted spares on Cord.
Hi! I will look through my archives. I did have a pic of a side mounted sedan in a barn awaiting discovery! Was the original question about side-mounted or rear mounted? I should have pics of the rear-mounted cabriolet in the file too. Ric.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Mar 2004 21:07 #1426 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Rare Cord in OCW
Al, Jim-

The Sept. 1959 ACD Newsletter had original photos of a 1937 Cord Westchester with a rear spare taken on the side street by the Auburn/Fuller Agency in L.A.

With so many variations in the Cord manufacturing process, I doubt that a complete Cord judging manual can be accomplished. However, the basic engine compartment and the phaeton and cabriolet interior guides started by Bruce Woodson should be very helpful to judges and restorers alike!

After 40 years I learn something every day!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Al Hatch
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2004 17:21 #1421 by Al Hatch
Replied by Al Hatch on topic Rare Cord in OCW
Jim,

Good eyes! I know understand why you are the 'chief judge'! Outside of the couple of open cars that have a rear mounted spare, I have never seen any sedan that sported the rear mount spare. I would be cool to know if the the car still exist and if we could get it back to Auburn.

By the way, the Club has talked about developing a judgine manual. Are you interested in starting one the the 810/12 Cords? I will be willing to help out and I suspect there are a few others who would be willing to pitch in. What's you thoughts? Pat and I will be at the Eastern Spring Meet and will help out with the judging. Look forward to hearing from you.

Al

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2004 17:38 #1417 by
Rare Cord in OCW was created by
In the March 18, 2004 edition of Old Cars Weekly there is a picture of a supercharged Westchester with a rear mounted spare. The photo is taken outside a gas station, probably in the late 1930's or so. Unfortunately the photo is too small and the Cord too far away for much details.