Skip to main content

Synchronizer release pressure?

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2024 20:46 #48318 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Synchronizer release pressure?
Hi Eric,
It's not uncommon to have different release pressures for different sets of springs. As long as you have the right length springs in each of the synchronizers. Also the spring ends should be squared and ground. If you have to you can put shims behind the springs, stretch the springs or cut them shorter to adjust the release pressure to get it right. 

Did you dress the teeth on the hub and ring? That will make a difference on the release pressure and will cause differences if you engage different teeth when you reassemble.

If you are using the old transmission manual do not modify the Sync ring as shown in appendix L (this was eliminated from the revised manual). This modification is not needed, and can cause problems.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2024 22:12 #48317 by eaj564
Replied by eaj564 on topic Synchronizer release pressure?
Thank you Jim,
That is exactly what I needed. Your articles on the shifting process helped me so much.
Eric

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2024 22:05 #48316 by eaj564
Replied by eaj564 on topic Synchronizer release pressure?
Gary,
Have manual. And updates to it . New set of springs, 2-3, and 4th from AC parts Inc. Problem I have is 4th gear syncro springs are mismatched.
I can put either set,for the 2-3 syncros or 4th and the release pressure varies by 20lbs this is also with new bearing balls.
Hole depth in hubs varies and used the unused areas of sliding rings. Manual gives only spring length not wire size.
New AC parts springs are 7/16 free length compared to manuals 9/16. I am trying to get 5 transmissions correct, 3 for cars and 
2 spares.. 36 Westchester, 36 Phaeton, and 37 custom Beverly supercharged. Also in need of a usable second gear.
Eric

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2024 21:31 #48315 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Synchronizer release pressure?
The correct release pressure is 110 lbs after 100 shifts. You need to do the shifts because the release pressure will fall after a number of shifts. Also check the release pressure a few times and average them. For the 2/3 sync check it both directions.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2024 20:57 #48314 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Synchronizer release pressure?
Three suggestions come to mind.
1.. Call Bill Bicknell because he has rebuilt many transmissions.

2.. Call George Arakelian because he also has rebuilt many transmissions..

3... If you do not have the latest ACD transmission rebuilt book get it. They are very detailed to these transmissions. The cost is about $40.00 from ebay thru our club store.

Gary Parsons

• eaj564
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2024 16:51 #48313 by eaj564
Synchronizer release pressure? was created by eaj564
Hello,
 I have 5 pair of syncros here, about half apart. I have read to get the release pressure correct but can find no reference to these specs.
I have three 2/3 that range from 40lbs to 100lbs and four 4th that range from 30lbs to 65lbs to break from center. Could someone help
with the correct pressures or range I should shot for?
thanks
Eric Johnston
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S