Skip to main content

Dual Chamber Master Cylinder

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
25 Aug 2013 22:30 #25811 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Dual Chamber Master Cylinder
Hi,

I received my new dual master cylinder and proportioning valve from JEGS. # 555-631402 for the master cylinder and 555-63025 for the proportioning valve. If you are going to run 1/4" line you'll also want two 1/2-20 x 1/4" line nuts for the master cylinder, for which you'll have to call JEGS to get the line nuts ordered.

My welding guy is fabricating a clone of the MC mounting bracket with its two funny angles for mounting the two-hole master cylinder, and I should have that in a couple of days.

There IS room for the dual cylinder in the limited original space, and all important dimensions will be retained, making the brake pushrod, clutch rod brace, clutch switch, springs, and whatever else all easy to install in original positions without modifications.

I'll post pix when the bracket is ready and installed with the new MC in place. If you come to Auburn, please feel free to stop by the "in process" trailered vehicle section to take a look at how easily this conversion can be done.

My thanks to Tom Clarke for bringing up this subject here in the forum. To my thinking, this is an inexpensive but important safety upgrade.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
06 Aug 2013 00:20 #25678 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

I looked into using a dual master cyclinder in my 36/37 Westchester. Since the car is so completely disassembled, it seemed to me this was the best time to do it or forget it.

I have chosen to do it. After correspondence with the tech people at JEGS.com, I have ordered their recommended dual master cylinder and a proportioning valve to be put in my car. Cost is a tad over $200.00.

It looks like I'll have to fab up two brackets, but that's no big deal in the scheme of things. The car is already getting all-newly fabbed CuNiFer brake lines, so there's no additional cost there.

I'll post pictures in my "Re-assembling 1509 A" thread as I get to work on it.

--Tom

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
28 Jul 2013 16:40 #25637 by Tom_Parkinson
Hi,

Has anyone made this conversion? I find oodles of dual master cyinders available, but none so far with the three-mount mounting template used in my built-as-an-810. All I have found are two-point mounts.

Since the car is in process of reassembly and is currently bare-boned, this would be the best time to convert it to a dual system.

Any source of a three-point dual master cylinder, or suggestions about how to adapt a 2-pointer to the existing bracket?

--Tom

• cbs
  • Visitor
17 May 2005 01:49 #3151 by cbs
Replied by cbs on topic Dual Chamber Master Cylinder
Agreed; And if using an electric fuel pump (like most of us) an automatic shutoff switch that disables the pump if an impact occurs.

A fuel cell and fire supression system would be nice too. In order of importance, I'd say #1 would be r. turn signals, #2 would be good hubs, #3 brakes ..............

• tom clarke
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 May 2005 20:56 #3146 by tom clarke
Dual Chamber Master Cylinder was created by tom clarke
There is such a greater safety with a dual chamber master cylinder than the single chamber used by Cord (and all others until about the 1960's) that I was wondering if anyone has identified a NAPA unit, or other brand, that could bolt in as a replacement for the original Cord master cylinder unit? I was under my 810 Westchester sedan yesterday and noted that the plumbing of one chamber to the front wheels and the other chamber to the rear wheels would be a pretty easy adaptation to make. This is one of those safety items that I feel should be considered for any of our cars that are run at all, and I guess I'm probing to see if anyone has already blazed the trail..

Tom Clarke