Skip to main content

Front Suspension

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2023 22:27 #47557 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Front Suspension
I failed to mention in my earlier reply but each side also has a felt seal that is held in place by the tin cover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2023 22:23 #47556 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Front Suspension
I’m going strictly on my failing memory but I believe the outer cast iron bearing mount on the outside of each swing arm does not have any shims…..but they do have 2 spacers on each side. I I believe there is a relatively thin spacer and then a much thicker and heavier spacer and then the tin cover for the bearing holder on each side. These help retain the bearing inside the cast iron housing that’s held in place with the bolts thru the stub frame.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2023 21:53 #47555 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Front Suspension
Gary to the best of my knowledge NO shim packing was involved.
Each suspension arm was set up with a mating outer bearing housing. The bearing housings were numbered for reference.
When I assembled the arms I slid the inner stub shaft into the needle bearing and checked the distance between the outer stub shaft and frame. I did have to make some adjustments as the car had been in a collision at some time. Otherwise if everything was perfect NO adjustments would have been necessary.

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2023 17:10 #47553 by 1748 S
Front Suspension was created by 1748 S
The front A frames control arms have a shim stack thats adjustable both inside and outside. I removed mine way back in 1976 and have forgotten how the stack is set up. Is there anything written how to build the shim packs up both inside and outside?
Thanks.

Gary Parsons