812 Automatic Choke Stuck Open

• KEN.ROBERTS
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2022 23:38 #45726 by KEN.ROBERTS
Replied by KEN.ROBERTS on topic 812 Automatic Choke Stuck Open
Thanks. I successfully unlocked the auto choke piston with some penetrene and gentle persuasion. Now runs so smoothly when cold. Lovely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2022 16:25 #45723 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 812 Automatic Choke Stuck Open

George van Nostrand wrote: Ken I would recommend you remove the carburetor as you don't want to drop anything in the engine. Use penetrating oil to release the seized piston.

Great suggestion. Probably any auto parts store brand of choke carburetor cleaner will work fine. My EE15 carburetor had all this linkage and piston removed many years ago. I don't know why.

Gary Parsons

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2022 13:57 #45721 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic 812 Automatic Choke Stuck Open
Ken I would recommend you remove the carburetor as you don't want to drop anything in the engine. Use penetrating oil to release the seized piston.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A

• KEN.ROBERTS
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2022 07:43 #45720 by KEN.ROBERTS
812 Automatic Choke Stuck Open was created by KEN.ROBERTS
The Automatic Choke Piston on my 812 Beverly appears to be stuck and won't allow any movement in the Choke Valve (butterfly). Fortunately, the Choke Valve is stuck open. (Cord Service Bulletin No 7 has a detailed description of the EE-15 Carburettor.) I have gently tried to move the piston (where it connects with the Choke Link), but it is firmly locked in the fully down position. I don't really want to remove the carby at this stage. Has anyone any experience freeing-up the Automatic Choke Piston in situ?