Skip to main content

Setting Up Headlight Buckets and Opening Mechanism ................ HELP!

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2022 23:52 - 11 Jun 2022 23:55 #45553 by Terry Cockerell
Good sound advice Tim. Jim we must clean up our acts to give a good example to the children .................. the next generation ( thank goodness my garage is a long way from the house)
The headlights on the Actonite Cord had been converted to sealed beams a long time ago however they do not have parking lights. You can substitute these for Lucas 7" motorcycle semi sealed beam lights which have a fitting for park lights as well as being able to take upgraded halogen 6 volt bulbs. The Lucas 7" semi sealed lights can be sourced from Ebay for around $60 .
One problem that I did encounter was the holes where the lid was fitted had been slotted.
Thanks everybody for your comments.

T cockerell
Last edit: 11 Jun 2022 23:55 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revise text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2022 19:09 #45552 by uconn_1965
I sometimes found I couldn’t move the head light bucket far enough to get it in the position I was trying to obtain. I then would elongate the holes in the head light bucket in the direction I needed to move the bucket. When the bolts are installed, it hides where you elongated the holes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2022 17:35 #45551 by Tim Gilmartin
Hello all: I’ve read all the good advice on this topic. Terry has sealed beam headlights, so they would be much easier to install while the mechanism is on the car vs original lense and reflector.
If you are working with original equipment, I highly recommend installing the lense etc. while it’s on a work bench. I have removed and cleaned/repaired my original equipment many times, and feel that on the bench is the only way to do it safely. Installing the complete assembly is fairly easy, and can be done by one person, but a helping friend is easier. Loosely install with three or so bolts and use plastic or thin wooden shims around the opening hole. If everything is lining up nicely, add more bolts and continue to adjust. Put some kind of thin gasket material between the fender and the bucket for moisture prevention. Remove shims, and look at your perfect result. This method prevents most swearing, and learning new words, and allows the children to be present!
CORDially, Tim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Jun 2022 01:37 #45542 by JIM.OBRIEN
Terry, You are right, It's hard to improve on the words we already have. At a young age my kids learned that is they hear yelling or things flying across the shop the just turn around and head back to the house!
Jim

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2022 05:30 #45540 by Terry Cockerell
Oh thank you Jim! The easiest thing with a Cord is to fall in love with them, then you have to face the trouble that follows.
We don't new words Down Under the ones we have roll off the tounge so easily and melodiously when the need arises. I had been blundering along doing much as you listed. It is a job that can't be rushed
Tomorrow I begin again ............................. and thanks again Jim for your long and detailed reply.

T cockerell

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2022 03:49 #45539 by mikespeed35
The new Henry Portz!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2022 03:15 #45538 by 1748 S
Great information I plan on saving Jim. Very pleased you shared this here.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jun 2022 02:13 #45536 by JIM.OBRIEN
Terry, You should know by now that NOTHING is easy on a Cord!

Off the top of my head, here is how I set them up -
1. Tape off the edges of the fender opening and the lid to protect the paint.
2. Mount the lid in the bucket (without the cowl and light). Close the lid.
3. Install the bucket in the fender using a bolt in the top corners and one at the bottom.
4. Center the lid in the fender mainly concentrating on making sure it is level side to side and centered top and bottom.
5. Then use the pivot screws to center the lid side to side and lock them in place when you are happy with the fit. Tighten up the three bolts holding the bucket to the fender.
6. Install the rest of the bolts holding the bucket to the fender.
7. Adjust the opening and closing stops. At this point I set the opening stop just before the lid hits the fender. I crank the lid open and closed with a screwdriver - it's easier then with the crank on the dash.
8. Once you are happy with the fit and operation install the headlight and cowl assembly. You have to do this with the lid open.
9. Cafefull close the headlight checking for the lens hitting the fender. The cowl may need adjusting.
10 . Last check is with the headlight on you may need to resent the opening stop and/or the cowl to get the proper elevation and aiming of the headlight.

Notes:
I remove the tape at some point where I fell the chances of me chipping the paint is minimized.
The procedure requires lots of time, at least 2 or 3 different times in the assembly process.
Not mentioned is this involves lots of cussing and the invention of new words!

I hope this helps - I will put it on my list of articles that I still need to write - at some point I may even get back to restoring my Phaeton!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2022 13:54 #45535 by 1748 S
Terry this topic is not talked about much here. I recall something years ago but recient momory loss has me drawing a blank. I wonder if Jim Obrien could do a HOW TOO in the news letter? Sorry I can't help. I know there is someone or several members that can explain it.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Jun 2022 05:29 #45534 by Terry Cockerell
Is there a simple step by step procedure for setting up the headlight buckets and opening mechanism ????
I am having a difficult time getting the headlight cover to sit flush with the fender, have a uniform gap all round and open without damaging the paint.
HELP ........................... would be greatly appreciated.

T cockerell