Skip to main content

Front spring.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2021 21:46 #44586 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Front spring.
The information about frame cracks by Jim is very good to learn about before its too late. Sadly my frame was cracked so bad there was a piece about 7 inches long and the width of the top of the frame completely loose n floating. Being a welder 40 years ago my idea was to grind a bevel and just weld it back in place. But a much better welder than me suggested we cut the frame clean. Grind a bevel. Fabricate a replacement piece from four ten boiler plate with 8018 rod.He actually welded it in and I ground the finish to look like nothing had ever been done. I then purchased the replacement top plate Jim refers to from a passed on ACD member named J.K. Howell. Stan also sells or at least has this plate in his catalog. This top plate originally found on all Cord springs was a poor design. So replacing it to spread out the load over a larger area makes much better engineering sense. Its impossible to see this on any car too so judging is not going to be any issue.

Gary Parsons
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
28 Dec 2021 20:50 #44585 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Front spring.
Hi Trevor,
While you have the spring out check the frame where the spring sits. The springs have a tendency to push the frame upward and break it out. It is easier to see from the top of the cross member, the front and back corners will be cracked.

When you put the spring back in, make and install a plate between the frame and the spring to spread out the load. The drawing Terry posted shows one way of doing it.

Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

More
27 Dec 2021 21:20 #44579 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Front spring.
I noticed that, wondered why they were different. Matters not to me as no one in this country would have a clue ! Including me. As long as my car works properly and looks like it could be original I am happy.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Dec 2021 21:16 - 27 Dec 2021 21:26 #44578 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Front spring.
Hello again Trevor. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news however the fog lamp brackets you have are not as per the Cord approved accessory catalogue.
The correct brackets are longer as shown in the attached pictures.
There is nothing wrong with what you have but if you want to hunt up the correct brackets you know will know what to look for.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2021 21:26 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

More
27 Dec 2021 21:11 #44577 by [email protected]
Replied by [email protected] on topic Front spring.
Thanks guys, I had these bolts made last year and they are doing the job. One year and one day into Cord ownership today !
Attachments:

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
27 Dec 2021 21:01 #44575 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Front spring.
Also: on each end of the bolt, place a case hardened flat washer next to the metal cup. This will help spread the load . Do not use a regular store bought flat washer.
Tim.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
27 Dec 2021 20:46 - 27 Dec 2021 20:48 #44574 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Front spring.
Hi Trevor.
Attached is a sheet put out by Henry Portz years ago, it gives you the necessary spring settings. Also it is a good idea to replace the top saddle mounting with a wider one to spread the load on the supporting cross member.
What sort of long bolts do you have passing through the spring ends?
The original long studs with screwed fittings at both ends are prone to fail and should be replaced with 3/4" high tensile bolts.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Dec 2021 20:48 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

More
27 Dec 2021 19:35 #44573 by [email protected]
I have removed the spring today to get it refurbed. One side needed the bolt a lot tighter to set the car level, resulting in the spring looking noticeably flat on one side . Looking at it on the floor it appears pretty even, is there any specs. etc. that I can give over to the firm dealing with it ?
Attachments: