Winged Cord emblem accessory badge

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2022 06:51 #44613 by Emporator
Replied by Emporator on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
Gents,

Thanks very much for all your responses. I’ve enjoyed reading them and seeing the pictures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2021 18:29 #44572 by [email protected]
Mine is mounted as so. Hood badge and spot lamps !
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Dec 2021 23:02 - 26 Dec 2021 23:09 #44570 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
After all the trouble the Factory went to to have pop up headlights it seemed odd that the Fog Lamps would be just placed out in the open. I preferred the car's original clean look however a friend gave me a set of Fog Lamps for helping restore his Cord so they have been restored and will be fitted in the near future.
Moving on to "modern accessories" here in Australia LHD cars must have side mirrors.
In the past I had fitted side mirrors to the front door handles. This was functional but looked terrible. I was considering mounting them on the edge of the doors with clamps but that would have probably the paint. Then I had a brane wave and figured I could attach them to the wing window frames. I have to work up a suitable rubber cover strip to finish the job. They are still functional and look a whole lot better. I also needed to add some acorn nuts.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Dec 2021 23:09 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• pete kelly
  • Away
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 03:20 #44553 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
"Pete Kelly mentioned here that ONLY black is acceptable for judging. I personally prefer chrome".
Actually what I said or meant to say was that of all the original (not Cord original) brackets I have seen all were painted black cast iron( which Cliff Demers corrected me as actually steel). I only ever saw 1 that was originally chrome plated and it was brass. I never intended my statement to be considered a judging standard. I still prefer chrome myself(my car is white) but like the look of body color painted brackets on a dark colored car.
Pete
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Rileypu29
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 02:02 #44552 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
Hi Gary,
Thank you for your comments. I also really like the gray color on the Cord. I cannot say that mine is exactly what Cadet Gray is supposed to be but I like the way that it looks and I get lots of compliments on the color. I also agree that the amber lenses contrast really well with the car. The lenses on the fog lights in the picture of my car are sealed beams and the rims are not the correct narrow ones but the wide ones that work with sealed beams. I have since removed the amber sealed beams and I am replacing them with clear assemblies that allow me to use a 6 volt LED headlight bulb and also have a parking bulb location that I use for the front turn signals. This allows me to remove the separate lights generally added to provide turn signals.
I also agree that I prefer the look of the chrome fog light brackets. The brackets shown in the picture of the phaeton are reproduction aluminum brackets that have been polished. I have also added driving lights to my Westchester with the same approach of a Fog King bucket with a reflector that allows use of a 6 volt LED headlight and the parking bulb for a turn signal. I got a couple of reproduction brackets from club members and painted them to match the body color. I think that they look pretty good as well. I did not want to pay the cost to get them chromed. The nice thing is that these lights are bright enough that I can drive with them at night and not have to crank up the headlights. Here are a couple of pictures:

Regards,
Bill

Bill Kastanis
Attachments:

• Rileypu29
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 01:47 #44551 by Rileypu29
Al, I completely agree. In general I don't care for driving lights or fog lights either. I think that they look good on the 810/812 due to the fact that the headlights are hidden, the diameter of the lights is smaller and the set back of the brackets helps integrate them into the look of the car.

Bill Kastanis

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 01:04 #44549 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge

pete kelly wrote: Hi Gary
I think you are putting words in my mouth.
Pete

Very sorry Pete. I was sure it was you that made this comment here. I'm turning 70 tomorrow and will be writing down who said what and when so I don't make mistakes. It really embarrasses me. I'm human so mistakes are something I try to except....

Gary Parsons

• pete kelly
  • Away
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 00:29 #44548 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
Hi Gary
I think you are putting words in my mouth.
Pete

More
23 Dec 2021 22:00 #44546 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
To be honest, I'm not a fan of driving lights either. The ones on the Cord are probably the best, but the larger ones like Pilot Rays that end up on other 1930s cars really detract from the front of the car.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2021 21:56 #44545 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge

Rileypu29 wrote: I am with you Al, I prefer the look of the Cord front end without the emblem on the hood, just a bit cleaner in my opinion. Fortunately neither of my cars came with the ornament.
Bill

I love the color and the Fog King amber lens contrast to the body color. Not sure if these lenses are glass or the very special rare retainer rings but I do like it. I talked with a well know judge at the West Coast meet about the chrome or black fog light brackets. Pete Kelly mentioned here that ONLY black is acceptable for judging. I personally prefer chrome.

Gary Parsons

• Rileypu29
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Dec 2021 18:57 #44542 by Rileypu29
I am with you Al, I prefer the look of the Cord front end without the emblem on the hood, just a bit cleaner in my opinion. Fortunately neither of my cars came with the ornament.
Bill

Bill Kastanis
Attachments:

More
23 Dec 2021 17:48 #44541 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
I think it is just a matter if you like it.

Our car has one. I don't know if it came with it or my dad put it on 60 years ago. He loves it. I probably would go without as I'm an anti-doodad sort of guy. Although I'm not as adamantly against it as some other things.

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2021 21:23 #44523 by Emporator
Replied by Emporator on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
Hello Jim,
Makes sense. They’re quite a handsome accessory, no?

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2021 15:15 #44507 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Winged Cord emblem accessory badge
The Cord Accessory Brochure shows the emblem about mid point in the hood. Since these were dealer installed they could have been placed anywhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Emporator

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2021 04:43 #44502 by Emporator
Winged Cord emblem accessory badge was created by Emporator
I was wondering if there’s a consensus view on the positioning of the winged Cord emblem accessory that adorns the bonnet? My assumption would be to mount it about halfway.