Skip to main content

Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request

More
17 Dec 2021 01:53 - 17 Dec 2021 01:58 #44479 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
Wow. that is a cool replacement. Will be interesting to see what you find in that blower. Good luck!
Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Dec 2021 01:58 by alsancle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 Dec 2021 01:52 #44478 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
To All,

I now have that replacement restoration project. It is a late 1937 Cord 812 Berline, superchanged. It is a very complete and original car. More to follow.

Cheers to all,

John

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
14 Dec 2021 06:22 #44459 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
To John Meredith #0960 @ Greenville, N.C.:
Long time ACD Club member Bob Neer lives in St. Louis, MO. He is very knowledgeable about CORD and many other marques. Due to extreme health issues he entrusts his business contacts to fellow Missourian and ACD Club member Bill Bicknell who in his own right is an accomplished Cord /Auburn and Duesenberg restorer in Rolla, MO. Contact Mr. Bicknell at his cell telephone Area Code 970 / 218 - 1352 to discuss your needs, Your plan to return your presently owned non-restored 1937 Beverly to the original family is admirable. Good luck with this effort and your search for another Cord sedan for your restoration effort. There are a considerable number of these vehicles available with the determinate being their condition and what you are willing to spend for a good restoration. Best Regards, Jack Richards #1080 at Chesterfield, Missouri.

• Justin Kerns
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2021 22:43 #44449 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
John - I sent you a private message about a possible replacement project for you.

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2021 04:15 - 12 Dec 2021 08:00 #44443 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
I assume you are called Al?
I see from the Directory you live next door to Worcester MA. My Cord was driven to Worcester from Acton, Ontario in 1936 as the owners were visiting relatives. I am still in contact with a lady who remembers seeing the sparkling new Cord owned by hear aunt Cordelia and uncle Amos, when they came to visit in 1936. She was six years old at the time.
The attached picture was taken in Worcester during the visit. Aunt Cordelia is seated in the deck chair.
I would like to correspond with you directly.
My email adress is ............... [email protected]

T cockerell
Last edit: 12 Dec 2021 08:00 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding picture

More
11 Dec 2021 12:48 #44439 by alsancle

Terry Cockerell wrote: I agree with the life time commitment for us ordinary people. I can't help thinking from time to time about the individuals who designed, manufactured and put our cars together. They were just trying to survie while making a living.
"alsancle" my name is Terry Cockerell, I live in Australia 60 miles northe of Sydney. What is your name and where do you live?

I like the suit! I'm A.J. SanClemente, and second generation car guy. My dad bought our 812 in 1959. Live outside of Boston.

More
11 Dec 2021 12:47 #44438 by alsancle

John Meredith wrote: My plan is to sell it back to the family. It is where it belongs. I just would like to find a replacement restoration project.

Take your time and work the club guys. There are more projects than guys that can do them. Personally, I would advise an older restoration needs sorting. That could keep you busy for years.

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2021 12:39 #44437 by John Meredith
My plan is to sell it back to the family. It is where it belongs. I just would like to find a replacement restoration project.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Dec 2021 11:06 - 11 Dec 2021 11:08 #44436 by Terry Cockerell
I agree with the life time commitment for us ordinary people. I can't help thinking from time to time about the individuals who designed, manufactured and put our cars together. They were just trying to survie while making a living.
"alsancle" my name is Terry Cockerell, I live in Australia 60 miles northe of Sydney. What is your name and where do you live?

T cockerell
Last edit: 11 Dec 2021 11:08 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Spelling error

More
11 Dec 2021 01:01 #44434 by alsancle
Restoring a car these days is a life time commitment. I would lean heavily towards selling it back to the original family. It is a nice story, but ultimately a better idea for you to let it go.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2021 04:51 #44433 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
Just rememmber the most expensive old car to buy is the cheap one!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2021 04:50 #44432 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
This 36 Westchester looks more like a 37 car. Without actually laying hands on or seeing the really car serial number tag I would not venture a guess. It does have a lot going for it. But its very difficult to say if its all steel or maybe fiberglass fenders and other sheet metal. Without going thru the boxes its impossible to know if all the parts are actually there. The listing describes the engine n trans might be rebuilt...

Gary Parsons

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2021 02:03 #44431 by balinwire

More
10 Dec 2021 00:44 #44428 by pneflyer
Replied by pneflyer on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
Didn't work. Check cords for sale in the cars and truck section of Ebay Motors

More
10 Dec 2021 00:43 #44427 by pneflyer
Replied by pneflyer on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThere is what appears to be a Westchester on Ebay. Copy the address below and it should take you to the listing.

Mitch

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2021 00:08 #44426 by John Meredith
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the information. Do you have any contact information for Bob Neer? You can contact me off forum at [email protected]. Thank you ery much!

John Meredith

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2021 23:01 #44425 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request
Very nice idea returning the car to the family. Bob Neer in Missouri has "some Cords n parts". He has a Berline from what I have been told. I wanted to visit with him after Auburn this year but medical issues he has been having kept us apart.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2021 19:25 - 09 Dec 2021 19:32 #44422 by Terry Cockerell
Hi John, I completely agree with your kind and considerate thoughts. It would be wonderful for the car to go back to the descendants of the original owner.
Stan Gilliland tells me he has a few customers who own family Cords that have been passed down through the generations.
There will be other unrestored or cars needing more attention out there. Good luck with your quest.
Have a look in Google under Cord Cars for Sale. Hemmings list numerous Cord including a pale yellow Westchester that needs re-restoring.

T cockerell
Last edit: 09 Dec 2021 19:32 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2021 14:51 #44418 by John Meredith
Dilemma, Advice, and/or Help Request was created by John Meredith
I own a 1937 unrestored Cord Beverly Sedan that I now have acquired a collection of hard to find parts to help with the restoration. It has an 810 engine, the supercharged 812 has long since been replaced, but I know where the original engine block is located. When I first got the car, I found a speeding ticket in it from 1948. That ticket allowed me to track down the original family that owned the car and in fact bought it new. I was able to get quite a bit of family history regarding the Cord.

Recently I was contacted by the great-grand son of the original owner who would like to purchase this Cord and restore it with the help of his young son. I am very sympathetic to this idea. Though, I was about to start a restoration of it myself having recently retired. I would like to see the Cord back into the original family and I complete understand the father-son restoration project idea.

Here is my dilemma: I still want to be able to restore an 810 or 812 sedan (Beverly or Berline or Westchester). I would like to see the Cord 812 in question go back to the family and this young man who is interested in restoring it. Keeping this particular Cord sedan within that family would also bring one or two new members into our club. But, I would like to hold onto many of the harder to find parts and find a replacement Cord sedan project. I have just retired and was beginning to start on the restoration of the Cord in question when I was contact about selling it back to the family.

I am looking for some advise and opinions or help. Anyone know of a 810 or 812 sedan that is in need or restoration or is an older restoration that needs to be redone? Please let me know your thoughts! Any help is appreciated.

Cordially,

John T. Meredith