Cord 810 - 812 Sales and Registrations

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2021 01:38 #44327 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Cord 810 - 812 Sales and Registrations
Hi Gary, yes it is a remarkable document. Let's face it the early Cords gained a reputation for not being as good as they looked so I guess Arkansas was a case of "Once bitten twice shy."
The list covers 2,320 cars however there would have been some some unsold cars at various dealers and the Factory in Connersville.
I have no idea how many were sold across Canada. There were around 100 RHD cars that went to England and Commonwealth Countries like Australia and South Africa. Other LHD cars were shipped to numerous other countries.
They are all great cars with fascinating stories ............................. just part of the ACD story.

T cockerell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2021 22:43 #44326 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord 810 - 812 Sales and Registrations
I have seen this many years ago. It always fascinated me to see each state recording the number of Cords there. Notice on one 36 Cord was sold in Arkansas. No 37 was ever sold in that state.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2021 22:06 - 25 Nov 2021 22:10 #44325 by Terry Cockerell
Cord 810 - 812 Sales and Registrations was created by Terry Cockerell
Recently an Auburn owning friend gave me a copy of Dan Post's iconic book The Classic Cord printed in 1952.
Right at the back of the book is an amazing list of Cord 810s and 812s registered in each of the states. The total being 2320.
We know from the incredible work done by Ron Irwin and Paul Bryant that some where around 2,995 cars were built in total.
These figures are listed complete with reference sources in Josh Mals books.
However I had not see the state list of registrations before. Four states predominated with sales namely California, Illanois, Indiana and New York . The rest of the states have low numbers recorded.
Interestingly Hawaii was not listed however there were two Cords there, I then realised it became a state in 1959.
From discussions with Barry Sly in the UK we believe around 100 Cords were built RHD for sale in Commonwealth Countries.
I guess all you can say is that to own a Cord back then was rare occurance.
It is a privelage today.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Nov 2021 22:10 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text