Skip to main content

TWO TONE CORDS

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2014 01:52 #28260 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic The Shadow
If you have Josh Malks book, Cord Complete, there is a picture of the car in it. The picture has two small boys standing by it. Those two boys are a couple of my grandsons, Wyatt and Lucas Georgeson. This picture was taken some years ago as they are now 21 and 24 years old.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• E L
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
30 Sep 2014 00:22 #28259 by E L
Replied by E L on topic TWO TONE CORDS
The frame was extended and the body modified by Universal studios for the film
and later placed on the streets of Universal studios for display.
A club member from Michigan purchased the car about ten years ago where it still remains.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2014 13:15 #28256 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic TWO TONE CORDS
Hi,

LOVE those snap-to-it motorized headlights!

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• landmark
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2014 12:24 #28255 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Re: The Shadow (car) Lives On.

Bill Hummel wrote:

cbs wrote: Great photo! What movie is that pic from? (Or is that an actual period photo that's been colorized?)

I took that frame from the 1994 movie, "The Shadow" starring Alex Baldwin. You can get it on DVD but unfortunately it is only available in Full Frame, not Letterbox.

It is interesting to note that after they filmed the outside action sequences like the one above, the film company cut the poor car in half, so the inside shots could be filmed.

(...)

Hello,

I watched 1994 movie "The Shadow" yesterday on german television and I was delighted to see a Cord 810/812? Sedan in very sporty driving action in several film-scenes.

Here is the first appearence (starts @ 5.13 min.)

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
15 Mar 2005 03:36 #2956 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic The Shadow (car) Lives On.

cbs wrote: Great photo! What movie is that pic from? (Or is that an actual period photo that's been colorized?)

I took that frame from the 1994 movie, "The Shadow" starring Alex Baldwin. You can get it on DVD but unfortunately it is only available in Full Frame, not Letterbox.

It is interesting to note that after they filmed the outside action sequences like the one above, the film company cut the poor car in half, so the inside shots could be filmed.

Here is a picture of Peter Boyle, the Cabbie. Note the good-looking gauges in the dash.

I found the gauges at Glenn Pray's shop in Broken Arrow. He was going to put lights behind them and hang them on the wall. I convinced him that my Cord Cabriolet needed them more than his wall did.... So he sold me the whole assembly.

Here it is .... sitting in my house:

I dissasembled the unit and sent the gauges to The Clock Doc for restoration. Six months later, they were ready. Six months after that, I got around to putting them into my Cord.

Here they are in my Cord Cabriolet. The gauges are back on the road!

How I shoe-horned them in there without burning my car to the ground is something that Only The Shadow Knows.

• Ric Simpson
  • Registered
More
14 Mar 2005 04:58 #2950 by Ric Simpson
Replied by Ric Simpson on topic 2 tone Cord
Does anyone have a picture of Art's car they can post? or do I have to search through my yet to be catalogued collection of many, many, early ACD slides to find it? Ric. (I'm busy working on the AUB '04 DVD!) Ric again.

Ric Simpson,
2001 Niagara Parkway,
Fort Erie, Ontario,
Canada. L2A 5M4

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2005 14:43 #2926 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic TWO TONE CORDS
Run, don't walk, to rent "The Shadow" from your local video store (or Netflix, for the enlightened). :-)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• cbs
  • Visitor
05 Mar 2005 13:51 #2925 by cbs
Replied by cbs on topic TWO TONE CORDS
Great photo! What movie is that pic from? (Or is that an actual period photo that's been colorized?)

• sunroofcord
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2005 00:19 #2923 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic TWO TONE CORDS
Very similar, same paint scheme but the yellow seems to be somewhat lighter. It's a Phaeton, not a sedan like this one. The convertible top is also black with red piping.

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2005 06:30 #2922 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Two-tone Cord
Black and yellow ... Hmm ... Did it look like a Taxi Cab?

• sunroofcord
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2005 04:53 #2921 by sunroofcord
TWO TONE CORDS was created by sunroofcord
In the April 2005 Cars and Parts Magazine that I received in the mail today is an article on The Joseph A. Hardy lll Car Collection in Farmington, Pennsylvania. I quote the following: The collection is packed with genuine Classics such as this outstanding 1936 Cord Phaeton, a beautiful example of the front drive automobile. The cars original owner, Art Leone of Pittsburgh, Pa. traded in his 1929 Cord L-29 on the all-tan Phaeton with a 125 HP flathead V-8 on Aug. 26th, 1936. In October of 1936, he drove President Franklin D. Roosevelt in the car to a political rally at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh. In 1937, Leone returned his Cord to the factory in Indiana to have it fitted with a supercharger, which hiked the horsepower to 170, and also had the factory repaint it yellow and black (the fenders and everything below the grille is black). In his many years of ownership, he drove his Cord more then 175,000 miles before retiring it. The Classic Cord recently underwent a total nut-and bolt restoration that took five years. Reading the interesting history of this car got me wondering how many 810s and 812s left the factory with Two Tone paint jobs and how many can be counted for that were returned to the factory for special order paint jobs such as this???? What were the color schemes ordered?????? Should be an interesting subject. Looking forward to the responses.