Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!

• Auburn Bill
  • Auburn Bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
04 Jul 2016 10:30 #31346 by Auburn Bill
Auburn Bill created the topic: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
"Raising and lowering the top is defined in Cord service bulletin no. 46 dated Aug. 19,1936. 10 easy steps to raise, 11 to put it down, pictures included, a total of 3 pages. It has also been covered in some of the earlier books on the 810/812." Do we have anything for the Phaeton 4dr convertible?

Where may I find this? I am trying to lower the top on our 1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton. The entire crew of the Cirque du Soleil would not be able to lower/raise this top without instructions!!!!

Bill in Atlanta

1920 Cadillac Touring Car
1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton
1933 Packard Victoria convertible
1947 Lincoln Continental convertible

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2016 11:33 #31347 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
I'll call you later today.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Auburn Bill
  • Auburn Bill's Avatar Topic Author
  • New User
  • New User
More
04 Jul 2016 16:56 #31349 by Auburn Bill
Auburn Bill replied the topic: Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
Curt, I really appreciate your scans about the instruction. I will work on it today. I am printing it out.

Bill in Atlanta

1920 Cadillac Touring Car
1935 Auburn 8-851 Phaeton
1933 Packard Victoria convertible
1947 Lincoln Continental convertible

More
17 Jul 2016 16:02 #31387 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Re: Top Instructions for Auburn 851 Phaeton? Help!
The secret to getting it to fold relatively flat is to not nail or staple the top pads to the center box that crosses between the center door post (hinge pillar). Upholsterers see that the bow has a tack strip in it and then go nail the pads to such (it has a tack strip only because they made all the bows the same - not to tack to it). The center bow goes behind the rear door pillar bow - ie the pad would not allow this functionality.

Also, I find it easier to leave the center door posts in the car when putting the top down - gives you a place to sit it when you bind something up.

And, takes 2 people (one on each side) - and a trained monkey.

Also, the mechanism around the center door post has plenty of sharp corners - I wrap in a towel when down (this would be in the area of enter of back seat when down).

JMM

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds