Skip to main content

Springs/suspension, Chassis pics, Hood trim

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2015 19:05 #29274 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Springs/suspension, Chassis pics, Hood trim
Again, there are quite a few of us looking for an original chassis (frame) picture taken at factory or even a 1935 or 1936 auto show - none are currently known to exist. Some original engine photos exist and the conclusions from such are posted on Curt's website and reflected in his last several restorations.

And, use caution with any restored car - very few are "on the money" (as they say) regarding authenticity (all be it there are plenty that are "pretty" and what I would say are well restored). And, the chassis pictures taken during anyone's restoration will help with basic assembly.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• yorkgulch
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2015 18:54 #29273 by yorkgulch
Replied by yorkgulch on topic Chassis pictures - Auburn 851
Thanks John I have found a few chassis pics on the internet but most of those pixilate when enlarged. I have been in touch with Curt and am using the info on his web site. It is very helpful.

Auburn 851

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2015 17:43 #29271 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Springs/suspension, Chassis pics, Hood trim
There are unfortunately no original 851 / 852 chassis pictures that have been found. At one point I do recall one assembly line picture in a book or magazine that showed a number of cars (852's) on the assembly line alongside Cord 810's, though I do not have that photo and do not know anyone else who has it (I have been looking for a the photo since 2006). What I find is that when original photos are obtained they can be professionally enlarged and offer great detail.

The chassis was painted "Chassis Black" (I would call it pretty glossy black, though NOT a "mirror black" and certainly far from a dull or flat black).

The hardware on the Chassis is for the most part Black Parkerized or Black Oxide plated - NOT silver cadmium.

Every single bolt and for that matter most hardware on the Chassis and Engine (with the exception of perhaps a half dozen bolts) are totally unique to 850 851 852 Auburn via special head bolt markings (I will venture on a limb and say some very late 36 852's were lucky to be put together at all and have some generic hardware store hardware used in their assembly). Overall though Auburn was I would say a very precision made automobile (not what you would expect from a small company). Curt Schulze reproduces most of the hardware.

A good reference is Curt Schulze' restoration guidelines on his website - the research is an accumulation of a whole bunch of his cars being restored matched to a number of us who really care about authenticity. Click on the boxes to get text and photos and click on the photos to enlarge. auburnsmidwest.com/restoration-guidelines/

As to an authentic car we have some differences, though are pretty much "on the same page". As to authentically restored cars - there are perhaps 4 to 6 cars that come close at this point in time and there are a lot of "high point" cars out there that are not really good examples of authentic (so use caution). The 1.2 million dollar Boattail recently sold is an example of someone who went way out of their way for authenticity, though even it is not 100% on the mark. Another good example is: If you want a passionate discussion we can always talk Grey engines and Greenish engines (as a sidenote the Grey is a "parts company" rebuild in my book).

JMM

• yorkgulch
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2015 15:22 #29269 by yorkgulch
Hi I'm a new member with a Auburn 851. I could not find answers to these questions with a search.
1. Should the springs be flat or arched. I'm trying to determined if mine need to be re arched.
2. Are there any chassis pictures for a 1935 available that show detail for restoration?
3. My hood chrome center piece is 1 to 2 inches to short. Are there trim caps for the ends?
Thanks
Craig

Auburn 851