Skip to main content

Driving experience with original Shebler TX carb?

More
22 Mar 2014 00:28 #27249 by DavidK
Replied by DavidK on topic Rough Running
If you have a drain port on the bottom of the carb fuel bowl, maybe you could hook up a clear tube and watch the fuel level while the engine is running. The fuel bowl level will make a big difference on an updraft carb.
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Mar 2014 20:08 #27248 by 61xlch
Today I had the first short ride in the back yard.
The engine starts right up and runs pretty fast with choke halfway out. After a short warm up I can push in the choke and the carb doesn?t flood anymore.
There is a kind of idle, but still very unsteady. There seems to be a leakage inside the carb, it goes up and down (like lean and rich) and it drips a little bit fuel.
This problem is hard to come by, because when disassembled - there is nothing to find, and when assembled - there is nothing to be seen....
:rolleyes:
Cheers,
Andy

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
17 Mar 2014 14:11 #27193 by Mike Dube
Thanks for sharing Dave, yep, that's it. Mine has a very homemade looking elbow attached to a similar can with a wing-nut (not standard) so you can replace the guts. All painted black, it doesn't jump out at you. The one I mentioned using the Ford heater-defroster ducting is very close to the original.

Don't recall ever seeing an original at the ACD swap or any other swaps I have been to.

Mike
8-100A

More
14 Mar 2014 15:28 #27185 by DavidK
Replied by DavidK on topic Air Cleaner
The air cleaner on my 32 looks like the one in the photo with the elbow.
Dave
File Attachment:

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
14 Mar 2014 13:53 #27183 by Mike Dube

gnutting wrote: I'd like to locate this elbow-like extension, mainly in order to mount a cleaner/spark arrest. It is surely odd to put an angle in the air flow in this way, wonder why Auburn did it? .

The "why" is that Auburn was basically an assembled car, using parts not always specifically designed for it. Having said that, the carb intake (esp. with an air cleaner) wouldn't clear the steering box without a bend. I have seen Auburns of this era with their carbs mounted with the intake facing forward, but then you are taking in hot air from the exhaust manifold.

My understanding is that air cleaners were not offered in 1931 and were an accessory in '32, perhaps standard on the later cars that had the Stromberg URO-2. Obviously running an air cleaner is a good idea, so I am sure most 8-98s added them early on. A friend and fellow ACD member found some heater-defroster ducting from a late 40s Ford at a swap meet that had a similar bend. With some work he made a very close replica of the original. The "can" part of the air cleaner is somewhat easier to find to find.

Mike
8-100A

More
12 Mar 2014 21:29 #27175 by gnutting
I'd like to locate this elbow-like extension, mainly in order to mount a cleaner/spark arrest. It is surely odd to put an angle in the air flow in this way, wonder why Auburn did it?

Ray Kuns 6 volume Automobile Engineering has a 10 page section on the Schebler model S (vol II, pp. 153-163). The S was also an updraft carb used on straight-8 engines, including (according to Chliton's) Auburn 8-90 thru 8-125. Mainly on operation and adjustments. Don't know the extent that it applies to the model T Schebler used on 8-98 Auburn, but likely similar. If someone thinks it might be useful, will try to scan.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2014 06:55 #27169 by 61xlch
Thanks for all input.
I purchased this alu elbow and air cleaner, but it doesnt match the engine cover vent tube, coming down from the rear side cover.
Meanwhile the carb doesnt flood anymore (a sticking needle valve), but I am still looking for any kind of idle.
Will keep you posted.
Andreas

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
11 Mar 2014 01:05 #27167 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic 8-98 air cleaner
My 8-98 had an original air cleaner.
It is now owned by Bob Westcot in Memphis Tennessee. You could get specs from him. It consisted of a cast Al or pot metal elbow and a small round air cleaner.
Pete

More
10 Mar 2014 22:38 #27161 by gnutting
I replied to your question on the other post that was mainly concerned with oil pressure.

But an additional point: It is puzzling that the air intake for the Schebler is so close to the steering column that there is no room for an air cleaner. One factory photo of the 8-98 engine suggests some piece in the center of the air intake, possbily a spark arrester? You'd think there should be one. I've seen an 898 with a sort of elbow-shaped extension to the carb intake that permits a small air cleaner above the steering column. Anyone know what Auburn did about this? I don't like the notion of nothing over the opening of the carb air intake.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

• 61xlch
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2014 20:14 #27117 by 61xlch
Hello Auburn folks,

is anybody out there who has long time experience with driving an 1931 Auburn with the Shebler TX carb?
I am just converting my car from the previously installed, non original, but good working Carter carb to the original Shebler TX carb.

I would like to know, if anybody has some good experiences with this carb. I dont want to start a long fight with a possibly known problematic part.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas