Skip to main content

Operation of Auburn-Crosley Radio?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
08 May 2013 10:48 #25151 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Operation of Auburn-Crosley Radio?

mikespeed35 wrote: My Auburn Crosley radio has the volume on off switch on the right and the tuner knob on the left. The opposite you would expect.
CORDially Mike

The provision is there to install the cables in the radio head either way. I suspect for RHD.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
06 May 2013 14:14 #25145 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic radio
It's funny: I've had several of these radios rebuilt by Mike Frenchek but can't remember what that toggle switch is for. For some reason, I'm thinking it has to do with tone control... Mike's number is 717-991-3276. He can answer all your radio questions. (really nice guy and will take loads of time to talk to you)

• Bobavet
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
06 May 2013 01:39 #25144 by Bobavet
Replied by Bobavet on topic Operation of Auburn-Crosley Radio?
Dear Mark & Mike,

Can you tell me how your radios turn on and off? Also can you tell me if your radio boxes have a toggle switch on the box and what this switch does?

THANKS!

Robert Diepenbrock
Chandler, Arizona

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2013 22:41 #25143 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Operation of Auburn-Crosley Radio?
My Auburn Crosley radio has the volume on off switch on the right and the tuner knob on the left. The opposite you would expect.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
05 May 2013 20:16 #25142 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Radio
Bob: I had a radio head where the tuner knob would rotate, but the indicator would move only a few inches. I took it apart and found that the tuner had sort-of a clutch mechanism that was slipping. I merely soldered the mechanism together and reassembled. It worked perfectly after that. It still works to this day, 6 years later.

Mark

• Bobavet
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2013 16:42 #25141 by Bobavet
Operation of Auburn-Crosley Radio? was created by Bobavet
Dear Gents,

I have an original Auburn-Crosley radio in my newly purchased Speedster. How does it operate? In particular turn on and off? The Auburn-Crosley "head" on the original dash has two knobs, I assume left is on-off and volume, the right obviously is the tuner knob. I've turned the left knoib but nothing happens. ALSO there is a toggle switch on the radio box. What does this do?

All the cables between in head and the box look to be connected. ALSO there is an original radio antenna mounted under the car.
The Radio box is mounted VERTICALLY to the right of the original Auburn Heater box. I'm told this is unusual.

NOTE- This is a Glenn Pray Second Generation Speedster, with original Auburn Speedster components, so it's a hybrid," with a 12 volt system. I'm assuming all the operating gauges and components must have been adapted with 12-6 volt step down resistors.

Robert Diepenbrock
Chandler, Arizona