• Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2013 12:44 #25139 by Bobavet
Replied by Bobavet on topic Original Auburn Key-Lock Jammed- Need Help
Dear Gents,

Thanks for your replies.

So I'm understanding that in an original Auburn, the KEY- by turning left and right, moves a pin in and out (left and right) that locks the steering column, while the ON-OFF Lever moves up and down to turn the electrics ON and OFF.

My Auburn is a Glenn Pray Speedster Replica with original Auburn components, so it's a "hybrid." The way my Speedster Key Lock-Ignition switch appears to operate is it does not lock the steering column. You rotate the key to the right and move the cylinder and the ON-OFF Lever to the right to unlock ON-OFF lever-switch. When the key is rotated to the left (and removed) the ON-OFF cylinder and Lever is locked and cannot be moved.

I don't believe my Speedster Key Lock-Ignition switch locks the steering column. I'll confirm this.

From the time I purchased the car a little over a month ago, I was concerned with the "stiffness" of turning the key and moving the "locking cylinder". It seemed to have too much resistance for something rotated by a key. It may have been "on the cusp" of failure. This morning I'm going to make a closer examination of the component and take some more detailed pictures prior to disassembling.

More to follow.

Robert Diepenbrock
Chandler, Arizona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
05 May 2013 10:50 #25138 by
Replied by on topic key cylinder
I'm sure the lock cylinder is pot metal and it has given up. The reason it is binding is it has now swollen to the max. It will need to be drilled out. and a new one installed. The screw Mike is talking about is only for the the check ball and spring. The cylinder is held in place by a brass drive pin
My 2 cents
K Clark

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 May 2013 03:42 #25137 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Original Auburn Key-Lock Jammed- Need Help
Hi Robert, When the shaft goes in it is a steeriong wheel lock. That shaft goes into a hole in the steering shaft to lock the wheel. Right above the Ign. off, STX plate you will see a screw at a right angle to the lock cyl. If you remove that screw you should be able to pull the lock cyl. out of the housing. Once you do that it will be self evident how the lock and shaft work. You may have to get the lock cyl. repaired depending on what you find after removing the cyl. I hope this helps. If not, please ask further questions and we all will be glad to help.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Bobavet
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
04 May 2013 22:09 #25134 by Bobavet
Dear Auburn Owners,

The original Auburn ignition key lock on my Speedster has jammed. I can rotate the OFF-ON lever up and down, but I can't rotate the key to remove it from the key hole.
When I purchased the speedster I inserted the key, turned it to the right, and that moved the OFF-ON lever shaft to the right. Then I rotate the ON-OFF lever from OFF down to ON turn on the electrics. The process was reversed to turn off and remove the key.
Turning the key and moving the shaft was "tight" from the start, and when I rotated the lever to from OFF to ON it was tight and smooth.
Now when I rotate the ON-OFF lever there is a "pop" as it's rotated from OFF to ON and vice-versa. It's no longer smooth as before, and the key cannot be rotated and removed.
I've tried tapping on the end of the shaft as I turn the key to the left. Also removing the lever and spraying some WD40 in the shaft area. No change. It's really jammed.
If I apply any more force to the key I'll snap it off. I can still start the car and turn it off using the OFF-ON lever, but I can't remove the key.
I've disconnected the battery to make sure it isn't drained through the ignition switch.

Help?

Robert Diepenbrock
Chandler, Arizona