Skip to main content

15" Wire Wheel?

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2013 20:33 #24350 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic 15" Wire Wheel?
Also~

In the very ealy days of the Antique & Classic car collecting hobby finding good usable tires of various older & larger sizes was the biggest problem any collector had to deal with in those early car collecting days.
This was long before the older style reproduction tires began to be remanufactured.
There were No new reproduction tiresat this time.
My Dad, and his car collector friends, would search old gas stations,tire dealers & tire warehouses for any new old stock tires and buy them if they needed them ,or not, just to trade with other car collectors.
Many old wheel sizes were also swapped-out on these cars for other more common tire sizes & types where you could still actually find the proper tire sises. This was really necessary just to get these old cars back running on the road again in those days.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2013 19:37 #24348 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic 15" Wire Wheel?
After the war 17 inch tires were not available but 15 or 16 were so people had those rims installed on there hubs thus getting rid of lock rings

• floorboardinit
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2013 16:30 #24347 by floorboardinit
Replied by floorboardinit on topic 15" Wire Wheel?

61xlch wrote: I bet its been relaced with a later rim. Cant believe there were 15" rims used in the early 30ies. Even the original 17" rims were one of the smallest diameter used these days.

Regards
Andreas

That was my thoughts too but I've seen dayton knock off wire wheels that date back to the 30's that were 13"!! Like I said a small rim with huge tire meant a smoother ride. JohnnyA

More
20 Jan 2013 11:40 #24346 by 61xlch
Replied by 61xlch on topic 15" Wire Wheel?
I bet its been relaced with a later rim. Cant believe there were 15" rims used in the early 30ies. Even the original 17" rims were one of the smallest diameter used these days.

Regards
Andreas

• floorboardinit
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
20 Jan 2013 09:22 #24345 by floorboardinit
15" Wire Wheel? was created by floorboardinit
I'm trying to figure out what I have here. These came with a project I bought. They are 15" and about 6" wide and don't use a lock ring. Are these aftermarket? Or did auburn offer an accessory wheel. Or is it possible these were relaced with 15" rims? I've had some folks suggest these were wheels for sand or rough terrain. An old timer told me the the way to obtain the best ride was a small diameter wheel with a really tall tire sometimes even from an airplane. Thanks in advance for any help. JohnnyA