Skip to main content

'36 auburn steering wheel repair

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2012 23:54 #23204 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Steering wheels

Big Dean wrote: What material are you using to cast the new wheels? What is applied as the finish coat?

Thanks

Dean

The wheels are cast in urathane and top coated in PPG DP90

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Big Dean
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2012 23:21 #23201 by Big Dean
Replied by Big Dean on topic Steering wheels
What material are you using to cast the new wheels? What is applied as the finish coat?

Thanks

Dean

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2012 21:08 #23189 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic '36 auburn steering wheel repair

ilikescars wrote: I used Curt's steering wheel on my cabriolet and it was very good. I sent him an old cracked-up wheel and it was recast by Curt to perfection. This car won first junior and senior at Auburn, by the way.

Mark

Mark, thank you for the kind words!

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2012 19:45 #23188 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic '36 auburn steering wheel repair
I used Curt's steering wheel on my cabriolet and it was very good. I sent him an old cracked-up wheel and it was recast by Curt to perfection. This car won first junior and senior at Auburn, by the way.

Mark

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2012 11:26 #23187 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Steering Wheel

xjn001 wrote: Dear Curt, who manufactures the steering wheels? Several years ago at the ACD swap meet someone had a new auburn steering wheel (it was very very nice) but at the time I did not get to talk to the table vendor-no name. I would like to know. Thanks for any reply Bob.

Bob, I have steering wheels recast over the old spine using Jim Whitters old mold. The mold has been updated with more air spews but basically the same. I have a friend in California that casts the wheels. when I get them I have to clean up the parting lines and apply the final finish.

I suspect, the wheel you saw at the flea market was mine, as I have shown them there from time to time.

The problem with restoring the old wheel, is the material the old wheels are made of is not compaitble with the modern fillers. The expansion and contraction rate is different showing the repair areas.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
21 Jul 2012 12:47 #23182 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic Steering Wheel
Dear Curt, who manufactures the steering wheels? Several years ago at the ACD swap meet someone had a new auburn steering wheel (it was very very nice) but at the time I did not get to talk to the table vendor-no name. I would like to know. Thanks for any reply Bob.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2012 11:56 #23181 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic steering wheel
New recast steering wheels are available. They have been judged at the ACD reunion and Pebble Beach.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Glenn Hamilton
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2012 05:38 #23179 by Glenn Hamilton
'36 auburn steering wheel repair was created by Glenn Hamilton
My' 36 Auburn phaeton steering wheel has cracks on the top and underside at each of the three spokes. It has a stamped circle with 'Michigan HardRubber Co Mfgrs' near the base of one spoke. Any advice as to how to restore or recommendations on steering wheel restorers who can work with this material? Most ads refer to wood or plastic, not hard rubber. Thanks, Glenn Hamilton, Dayton, OH