Skip to main content

1935 Auburn 851 SC Distributor Shaft Wear?

• Leadfoot29
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2024 15:12 - 19 Mar 2024 15:36 #48337 by Leadfoot29
1935 Auburn 851 SC Distributor Shaft Wear? was created by Leadfoot29
Hi Auburn Community,

I am working on a 35 851 SC engine and i have what i believe to be a worn distributor shaft engagement slot tooth but I am hoping some more experienced eyes can confirm my suspicions.

I noticed a good bit of play in the rotor (and NOT from the advance springs) which is a IGH 4027 Dual point setup. the rotor itself is on the aged side and needs replaced, but i noticed that even when i took the rotor off the shaft seemed to play freely. Hmmm.

When I pull the distributor, the actual unit is tight and spins freely.

The problem seems to be concentrated at the engagement slot that fits into the oil pump. (Pictures attached) I put a straight edge on there and there is a fair bit of what appears to be wear on the shaft side itself. Unfortunately i was about 12 when the car last ran despite the engine having been refreshed, so I don't know the provenance of the components. Has anyone seen this? Is there something i am missing? The way i see it I can get in touch with Curt and see if he has an NOS one or just weld and grind the profile back.

EDIT* Measured the play at about 6 degrees from all the way one direction, to where the mechanical timing begins to engage. I have a video as well, but the size and format wont allow me to upload here.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Where is the fun in messing with Chevy 350s when Supercharged Auburns exist?

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Mar 2024 15:36 by Leadfoot29. Reason: New Information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.