Skip to main content

Woollen Broadcloth Direct from the Manufacturer

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
01 May 2020 00:10 #40086 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Woollen Broadcloth Direct from the Manufacturer
John, it ain't any easier here in Australia ............ quite the opposite.
I have been supporting the US and Canadian Postal Systems for over 12 years.
You just have to be determined to get on with the job.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
30 Apr 2020 19:48 #40079 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Woollen Broadcloth Direct from the Manufacturer

mikespeed35 wrote: A consideration Gary, How many times have I said when it is time I'll order it, only to find out "when it is time" the Co. is no longer making the item or is out of business. Just a thought.
CORDiallyMike

Mike - tends to be the case and often gets worse by literally the day in finding services

JMM

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Apr 2020 04:50 #40054 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Woollen Broadcloth Direct from the Manufacturer
A consideration Gary, How many times have I said when it is time I'll order it, only to find out "when it is time" the Co. is no longer making the item or is out of business. Just a thought.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 08:22 #40037 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Woollen Broadcloth Direct from the Manufacturer
Gary the rest of the interior has been done. I had bought the headlining material from an American supplier but held off on doing the seats and door panels .
My seats and door panels had been done in the 1970s but in the wrong colour blue. By dealing directly with the woollen mill the price has been halved.
My upholsterer did a great job with the headlining. Rick Hulett was impressed with pictures I sent him. He will do the seats and door panels for me in the coming weeks.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 08:08 #40036 by 1748 S
Terry I have "wondered" if this material was available to us commoners for small lots. I probably will contact this company when I reach that area of restoration but... My seats are in very good condition. So is my headliner. Sadly my door panels are not very nice. Water damage and bugs have taken much joy in ruining what I had back in 1961. Even then it was not very nice. What are you plans for the carpet and trim? Do you have an industrial sewing machine?

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
27 Apr 2020 07:10 - 03 Jul 2020 22:53 #40033 by Terry Cockerell
Woollen Broadcloth Direct from the Manufacturer was created by Terry Cockerell
Purchasing woollen broadcloth from America is a pretty expensive exercise considering current exchange rates with Australia. After searching for a suitable supplier in England I made contact with J & S Taylor Ltd, Sowerby Bridge, West Yorkshire. Nigel Whitworth is the contact.
Nigel explained that the family owned woollen mill made broadcloth in a standard width of 60" and in two weights.
Light weight 24 oz for headlining and door trim panels ............................ at 26 pounds per meter
Heavy weight 32 oz for seats ............................................................................ at 29 pounds per meter
The cloth can be supplied in a variety of colours or colour matched to sample supplied.
Today I received material for my door panels and seats colour matched exactly to the dark blue sample I supplied.
The company is happy to deal with restoration businesses or individuals supplying material in the relatively small quantities required.
I can thoroughly recommend dealing with this company as they provide a great service at a very good price. The broadcloth is exactly what was required to complete the restoration of my 810 Westchester.
Attached is a sheet from J & S Taylor giving all their contact details.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Jul 2020 22:53 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising Text
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards