Auburn 851 trim levels?

More
12 Oct 2016 12:25 #31824 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Auburn 851 trim levels?
Every 35-36 Auburn Standard six to the speedster had a flying lady hood ornament.
There are items on the pictured car that are not factory accessories.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2019 10:08 - 02 May 2019 19:50 #37123 by jivanty
Replied by jivanty on topic Auburn 851 trim levels?

johnmereness wrote: 851 -852 I may have this wrong as it has been a good long time since this discussion came up: Somehow the sidemounts with covers, passengers side taillight, running ]board moldings, the built on trunk, and the dual trumpet horns on the hood rods verses the Schwarze (may be mispelled) on the passengers side frame rail came into play [url=Audacity]Audacity[/url]. The trim levels do not appear "options" for upgrading at for say a dealer - Audacity Find My iPhone Origin they appear to have come on the car from the factory in the trim specific trim levels. There is some way to decode the Central Body tag as to the trim level or at least the tire equipment (ie part of the code specifies at a minimum the spare tire equipment - we think). On a sedan you also added a footrest (if you find a Phaeton with a footrest it is more likely than not something that should be questioned from restoration) And, I believein past reading something about a radiator ornament being part of the higher trim levels.

More common options included Radio, Heater, wheel disk covers, and such as exhaust cut out, license plate frames, and .... Do not recall if bumper guards are in accessory book or are a trim level thing. evels,

Last edit: 02 May 2019 19:50 by jivanty. Reason: The sidemount covers came with the sidemounts and if a rear mount the cover came with it too - if someone tells you the "covers were optional" they would be misinformed (try to find an ori

More
02 May 2019 12:34 #37125 by Curt Schulze
The central body tag denotes the body style, the location of the spare tire(s)
and the sequence number of that particular body style. It is my opinion that all 35-36 Auburns came from the factory with a flying lady. The holes were pre stamped in the radiator shroud. to mount something there. Can anyone supply a part number for an alternative to the lady?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

More
04 May 2019 19:02 - 04 May 2019 19:20 #37144 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Auburn 851 trim levels?
Curt, the 852 Phaeton that came from Detroit/Canada did not have an ornament or any sort of alternative mounting plate for the ornament via my conclusion given no holes in shell ever (or if they were there and filled you could not see that via either side of shell while in bare metal) - A couple years ago I added an ornament that I built up from ebay purchases over time. It also never had running board moldings as far as I could see (also no holes), no radio (and no holes in cowl for it), and no heater, as well as the base model horn on the passengers side frame rail up by the generator. That being said, it did have the built on trunk and also dual sidemounts with the metal covers.

To the fellow reviving the post - Curt and I have discussed and I will need to check the serial numbers - it could just be a car lucky to get out the door at the plant (it is a true 852 verse a renumbered - rebadged 851). Nevertheless, it would be the only car I have ever heard of this way and no factory photos exist showing a car without an ornament. Perhaps when it was being restored in the late 60's - early 70's they welded and just really nicely metal finished.

Also, did the fellow reviving the post earlier this week have a question ?

JMM
Last edit: 04 May 2019 19:20 by johnmereness.

More
04 May 2019 20:38 #37146 by Curt Schulze
John, I won't disagree with you. I had a 654 Brougham with one wiper and NO accessories what so ever. It had a hood ornament. The thing is, it is difficult to believe that factory lineman drilled the holes to mount the bird for 99.9% of the cars. If you look closely at the top of a cowl you can see it was stamped prior to being formed.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds