• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
06 Dec 2020 02:09 #41704 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Optimo battery
Well said Jim. Thanks.

Gary Parsons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2020 22:05 #41689 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Optimo battery
The real problem isn't the battery ground connection it is all the connections between the ground point and the starter. If everything is cleaned up and has a good electrical connection they system works very well. For starting you need a fairly large electrical connection between the battery and the starter to get enough electricity to flow to start the car.

With the stub frame and all the sheet metal bolted to the main body there are lots of connections the electricity can or has to go thru. The problem is there is 85 years of rust and corrosion in there. The other cause is during the restoration process people forget or don't realize that the stub frame connection to the main body is also an electrical connection. It only takes about 1 ohm of resistance to have the starter turn slowly, two ohms and you can't crank over the engine. There has to be a good solid electrical connection. If the stub frame is removed, painted and reinstalled there may not be a good enough connection to start the car, it may be good enough for the lights, running the car or charging the battery.

The easy fix is running a large grounding cable (00) from the battery to the mounting bolt on the starter.

As long as the electrical system is good 6 volts is plenty to start the car and for everything to work properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2020 03:37 #41683 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Optimo battery
If I can start a V16 490 cu. in. engine with a 6V lead acid bat. and ACD car should start on one. Granted it cranks slow but starts every time.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2020 01:05 #41679 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic Optimo battery
And I think it was George Arkelian who told me that Jim Obrien told him that it was foolish of Cord to attach the batt ground to the thin chassis metal under the floorpan - the perfect place for heavy rust to form. Instead run a ground straight to one of the starter mounting bolts where the case tab has been filed or sanded clean, then bolt the cable there.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
03 Dec 2020 23:34 #41678 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Optimo battery
No offense to anyone's engineering, but I have run single Optima Batteries in 6 volt cars for eons now and without issue - you just need to be especially careful with the grounding (paint is a killer on starters, bell housings, and ....). Curt Schulze is also quick to point out that some of the riveting used in the starter end plates may best be replaced with screws as corrosion gets under rivets.

JMM

• Frenchsic
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2020 05:18 #41654 by Frenchsic
Replied by Frenchsic on topic Optimo battery
Purists might hang me, but having converted a couple Citroen Traction Avants to use modern Delco CS alternators with internal regulation, and a V. dropping resistor to feed the wiper motor - and lights if I didn't want to replace them all, has anyone tried that approach to get much better cranking speed which doesn't damage 6 V starters from my experience? This may sound like blasphemy, but having had a friend's elecs burned up by AAA jumping his Traction with 12 volts & frying the V reg, and the Tractions having NO fuses in their systems, I installed a Delco for him with fuses and he's been really pleased with it - better charging at low speed, far more amps for accessories, and no buzzbox regulator and extra wiring that can be done away with. Plus of course being able to be jumped by anyone with 12 volts. Just my ho - will look at this when I get back to my 812 - dropping resistors are avail. on Fleabay -
Ken

• dtitus
  • Registered
More
18 May 2019 07:10 #37255 by dtitus
Replied by dtitus on topic Battery
Dear Sir,

I will greatly appreciate if you could please share Mr. Allan McCrary.'s email address. I need help with regard to Right Hand Drive Bell Housing for my 1932 Auburn V12.

Best wishes.

Diljeet Titus

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2008 00:35 #10790 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
I have sold the optima batteries for 20 years
they are powerful, long lastinI have had a few that gave 10 years service
they are capable of long shelf life with no attention
battery tenders are recommened not trickle chargers
to bad they are expensive but buy 2 or 3 regulars in 10 years
greg

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2008 17:40 #10778 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Battery
Allan McCrary, just brought one and he loves it. E-Mail him for details of installation, I believe none. Does anybody out there have this duo-pack? How do you guys like the optima, I know it takes less room from what has been said. Can these optima batteries be sustained by trickle charging. OH, thanks Bill for keeping us in line.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2008 16:05 #10763 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Optima and Shell
The Optima and Shell were discussed 6 months ago. Do a search for OPTIMA then look in the WHAT TO GET YOUR SWEETIE FOR VALENTINES DAY.

Here's a photo of the items we discussed:

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2008 13:52 #10761 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion
They sell empty cases with phony caps and straps. The Optima fits inside with the terminals poking out. Here's the URL: www.batteriesareus.com/index.php ... F6+group+2 .

Good find, Ethan.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2008 12:37 #10759 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic An Authenticity look
To the member that wants to keep the look of old. Here it is, Optima battery (850/6 group 2) with a classic looking CASE that is designed to safely contain and conceal your Optima 6 volt battery, and provide the appearance of a modern group 2 battery. Go to BATTERIES ARE US.COM, check it out guys!

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
03 May 2008 01:41 #9988 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Optimo battery
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer you. I just got back in the country and didn't have good computer service while gone.
I raised my battery so it would not hit the high spot coming off the street to my driveway. As I have built my Cord to be a driver it is protection when out on the road.

• pkschafer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2008 01:16 #9600 by pkschafer
Replied by pkschafer on topic Optima
Tom thanks. Is the battery box height a necessary modification for protection.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2008 17:53 #9598 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Optimo battery
I'm using one Optimo battery and it works just fine. I did all the improvements that have been setout in back issues of ACD Newsletters and she cranks over just fine. I also install a kill switch underneath the drivers seat. Because I have a hump in my driveway I laid the battery on it side so I could raise the battery box up to clear the hump.

• pkschafer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
03 Mar 2008 20:34 #9592 by pkschafer
Replied by pkschafer on topic Battery conversion
Thanks Pat. I am new to Cords, however, I have thought about installing an electric fan in front of the radiator. Great idea. Re. battery install I had heard of someone doubling up Optima batteries in parallel to double cranking amps which would require cable changes etc. How did you deal with positive ground on the fan install?
:)

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2008 13:20 #9589 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Double Optima
I carry two 6 volt Optima batteries in my CORD. They fit perfectly side by side in the existing compartment. I use only the one battery for all normal Cord electrical. I added a small jumper wire from the first battery to the second in series to provide 12 volt for a radiator fan, cell phone (no longer use). I now just carry it for emergency purposes (for me or for someone else). The second battery does not charge off the generator, so I occasionally switch the two around or charge externally as required. One battery will allow a long period of time for cranking (much more than standard wet cell). Also great because there is no terminal corrosion, or need for trickle charge through winter.

Pat Leahy

• pkschafer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
01 Mar 2008 20:30 #9586 by pkschafer
Cord 810/812 6 plus 6 Optima conversion was created by pkschafer
Need some help with cable specs cord 812 6 plus 6 optima battery conversion.