Skip to main content

What's your favorite paint?

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2007 23:45 #8773 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic What's your favorite paint?
Hi Bill, sorry to differ on this one. There are many, many black formulas. Some have heavy indigo tints, some yellow and some even red. DuPont 99k is most likely the truest black. Straight German (Mercedes) 2007 black is a favorite amongst hot rodders mixed in any high quality bascoat/clear coat. It has no metallic component or quality and is incredibly opaque. Your choice as well as Sikkens, Glasurit, PPG Premier and Dupont Chroma Base and all good picks.

The Finesse-it polishing compound you used is also an excellent product after color sanding and starting with DuPont medium compound followed by DuPont hand glaze and finish wax. I don't suppose you will walk through any shop that specializes in exotics and not find those on the bench.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2007 16:32 #8770 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic What's your favorite paint?
:) Black is black, I have found no difference in any black paint as to the color, but the reflective qualities change as the pigments are ground to the final size. The finer the grind of the pigments the smoother the paint will lay, of course clear coats can enhance the look of depth, any high quality paint should be ground to a fine grade The modern high volume low pressure type spray guns require this paint to spray properly. The EPA has made these changes required to all auto paints so that less VOC,s are released into the air, they figure less paint used less VOC,s inturn less paint is applied to the surface of the car because of the smaller sizes of pigment lay flat and reflect more giving the desired color,

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2007 14:38 #8435 by Bill Hummel
What's your favorite paint? was created by Bill Hummel
I like black cars. REALLY black cars. I recently had my Cabriolet painted with Akzo Nobel/Lesonal which is a base coat/clear coat. Has anyone else used this brand paint?

Shop used 3M Finesse It to polish the car. Anyone used this?