Skip to main content

TIP NEEDED! - REPAIRING A CORD DOOR "PIANO" HINGE

• Jamesbondo
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2020 22:41 #39524 by Jamesbondo
Replied by Jamesbondo on topic DRILL BITS
Where did you get those bits?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Aug 2008 04:14 #10903 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Auburn
Glad to hear that Henry! It isn't quite the same when you don't show up.

See you in a few weeks.

More
31 Jul 2008 03:14 #10892 by hportz
Bill , I purchased my air tickets to go to Auburn today. See you & all my other friends in Auburn ! 31361F Henry

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Jul 2008 17:02 #10799 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Portz

GIVNER wrote: BILL,

Now that you figured it out, you don't have to second guess Henry.

I am nothing without Henry Portz. He told me exactly what to do and I did it. Now the doors hang correctly and are very sturdy.

I was very lucky to find a dozen 30" long 1/4" drillbits on eBay. After I found a machine shop to striaghten the hinges, they over reamed the hinges to 1/4" using my bit. Then they inserted a larger hinge pin and it really has made all the difference in the world.

I have extra 30" long drillbits. If anyone needs one, I will send them one.

More
23 Jul 2008 04:20 #10794 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Conv. Hinges
Bill, At the moment it doesn't look like I am going to make it to Auburn this year, but I still hope. Thanks , 31631F Henry

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2008 16:18 #10766 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic DRILL BITS
Hey Henry!

I forgot to give you the 30" long 1/4" drillbits that I promised to you last year in Auburn. I am bringing you three of them as thanks for all the help you have given me over the past couple of years.

If you are flying, I guess you can fit these in your checked baggage. If you are not checking a bag, let me know and Iwill mail them to you.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Oct 2007 14:43 #8436 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Door Hinge follow-up
Since I did not have the equipment to straighten the hinges I had it professionally done. Everything worked well. We over-reamed the nodes to accept a 1/4" steel rod.

Doors hang fine now. No sagging. I expect that 1/4" rod to last quite awhile. I do have to shim them a little to bring the doors back a little for proper centering.

My thanks to Henry Portz for the tips. Am sending a couple of 30-inch long 1/4" drill bits your ways as a Thank You. (eBay is so much fun!)

• Wes Trail
  • Visitor
14 Jul 2007 13:36 #7502 by Wes Trail
My dad's Cord replica uses a similar hinge for the doors, although it is made of stainless steel. It may not be as correct, but perhaps a stainless pin would be stronger than regular steel. I am still not keen about [anyone] leaning on the doors when open as said before, there is a lot of overhung weight there.

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2007 12:30 #7496 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic TIP NEEDED! - REPAIRING A CORD DOOR "PIANO" HINGE
BILL,

Now that you figured it out, you don't have to second guess Henry.

JEG

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2007 01:34 #7491 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic DOOR SAG
My passenger door has sagged ever since I bought this particular Cabriolet. Cabriolet doors are quite long and mine drooped about an inch where the door handle is.

It always takes me 3 or 4 times to get the door to close properly. Now I know why. Look at the pictures of my piano hinges. The one on the left comes from the drivers side. The one on the right is the one causing the problems.

The hinge pin has sheared off in two places! No wonder the passenger door sagged so much. What fooled me is the hinge pin is still in place. Looking at the top of the hinge, I thought everything might be OK. The three pieces are mounted so close to each other, you cannot tell there is a problem without removing the door and the hinge. You can also see the metal plate is bent slightly in the next photo.

I plan to straighten the plates. Line up the three pieces and ream out the hinges to accept a 1/4" rod.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2007 23:29 - 18 Feb 2020 23:40 #7478 by Bill Hummel
The doors on my Cabriolet sag. The right one is so bad, it sometimes takes me 4 or 5 times to get it to close right. I have been told that this is because I have worn door hinges.

Has anyone repaired one before? Henry Portz gave me a rough outline as follows.

Dismantle the hinge and lay the pieces on a steel table.
Make sure they are flat.
Then make sure all the nodes lay down on the table.
Line up both halves.
Ream out with a drill that's the same size as the original door pin. 230 thousandth's?
Then over ream a little bigger, say 250 thousandths.
Install a new pin.

Does this sound right? Can anyone add anything else? Do you beat the hinges flat or do you use a press? Is any heat needed?

You know me, I hate reinventing the wheel. I know there's a least half a dozen of you out there who know how to do it.

Dumb Question - (Since I haven't bothered to look yet.) Is the front door hinge on a Custom Beverly the same as on a Cabriolet?
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 23:40 by Joe Holderman.