TAPING UP A CORD FENCE

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2007 02:29 #7349 by Bill Hummel
TAPING UP A CORD FENCE was created by Bill Hummel
Some Club members told me NOT to remove the stainless steel trim. Others told me I would not be happy with the finished product unless I did.

I tried taking off the curved piece over the transmission cover and 3 of the 4 screw clips broke off. As a result, there was no way I was going to take off the trim. So I taped the stainless steel. I thought it was going to be hard, but it was actually very easy, and kind of therapeudic.

My apologies to the restoration pros if I sound like I am some sort of expert. I am not. But this project was not hard to do. The gap between the stainless steel trim and the steel louvers make this project a snap.

Be sure to use BLUE 3M tape. The green stuff is too sticky. Don't spend too much time getting it lined up. Leave plenty on the steel.

There is a trough between the steel and the trim. Use a new Xacto knife and follow the trough. Flip the fence over and use the Xacto knife on the back side too.

Taping each of the 7 louvers took 10 minutes each.

Cutting off the excess tape took another 10 minutes per louver.

Don't rush yourself. Hopefully your garage is air-conditioned like mine. Make sure you have plenty of beverages nearby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.