Skip to main content

SODA BLASTING

More
24 Nov 2007 16:52 #8771 by xjn001
Replied by xjn001 on topic rust removal
:) I am familar with the soda blasting, quite dusty but effective, plastic media blasting is another good way to remove unwanted paint and light rust, both of these methods can use low air pressure at the blasting equipment gun (tip), low pressure at the blasting tip leaves less chance of heat build up and warpage of the parts, small parts too fragile for blasting can be placed in one of the many rust removing products on the market, just don't forget about them or they will be eaten up by the chemicals. One method to use on rusted parts with out chemicals is by using electricity, found this web site--myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
01 Jul 2007 23:08 #7369 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Stainless Trim
I would like to remove it, but the little screw clips are so fragile that I figure at lease half will get messed up.

Look at my HOW-TO-DO-IT for taping the trim. I think I got it close enough where you can not tell that the trim wasn't removed.

To my uneducated eye, I think I will be fine with the tape job that I did. I will let you know on Tuesday. It goes to the paint shop in the AM. Keep in mind that I am not known for driving Pebble Beach quality cars.

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudway...viewtopic.php?t=2477

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
01 Jul 2007 22:15 #7368 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic soda blasting
Hi, Bill: I've heard of soda blasting, but this is the first time I've seen the results of the process. Thanks for sharing the info.
By the way, are you leaving the stainless steel trim in place while the fence is being painted? I would think that you'd have to remove it first...

Mark

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 Jun 2007 04:17 #7350 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic BAKING SODA BLASTING
To answer my own questions, I am now a big fan of removing paint and rust with baking soda. Not only is it EPA friendly, but all of the soda washes off your parts with water.

The baking soda did not harm the metal and it seemed to shine up the stainless steel. Apparently sand and glass are too rough on the metal, and not all of it comes out of the metal.

Here is my fence after SODA BLASTING: The semi rough surface is because someone sand-blasted the fence sometime in the past.

• Bill Hummel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Jun 2007 23:12 #7226 by Bill Hummel
SODA BLASTING was created by Bill Hummel
Has anyone tried removing paint by blasting with baking soda?

I am thinking about taking my Cord fence to an outfit that uses baking soda. I need to get the paint off my stainless steel trim. I tried doing it by hand but it is taking forever.

Will the soda warp the fence or damage the stainless steel trim?