More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed

More
20 May 2022 15:17 #45446 by pfree3233
Joel, if you can't find the proper LED flasher, you maybe able to get away with using a "Dummy Load" sold by Watsons-Streetworks. I'm not sure if they will work with 6volt, they would be the people to answer. Also, I have heard of people wiring in a regular bulb in line, (hide it in the trunk) to make enough load for the original flasher to work. Hope that helps. Pat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2022 16:04 #45447 by Joel
Thinking it over a little bit, and the potential for adding blinkers, the reason for using LED tail lights is to reduce the load on the brake light switch. The brake light switches rated at 5 amps maximum. LEDs are way under that. I'm not sure about a nice bright incandescent bulb, but at 6 volts it's got to be getting close. So if I install blinkers I could keep the LED bulbs in the rear, but use incandescent in the front. The woodlites have a little lens up in the top that could probably be used for the blinker. The incandescent bulbs in the front would provide enough load to operate the flasher without putting any extra load on the stoplight switch.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
File Attachment:

More
21 May 2022 03:00 #45448 by 1748 S
One day after lunch with Randy I saw a car the shop was restoring almost ready to show. It had turn blinkers on both sides front n back. I asked if those are a judging deduction. He answered yes but these are removable and wireless. Great idea I thought. I saw the piece on the column and how easily the bumper pieces come off. They were independent of and brake light system too. I did not get a name but I'm sure he would answer questions.

Gary Parsons

More
21 May 2022 04:05 #45450 by pfree3233
Joel, not that I'm hijacking your post, Gary mentioned about wireless turn signals and I thought I would share what I'm doing for my speedster build. I decided to run electronic power steering, but by doing so, I lost the ability to pass any wire through the column. I made an aluminum spacer between the wheel and the hub adapter that houses a wireless remote, hard wired to micro switches for the turn signals, 4 way and a paddle switch for the horn button. I am using the 3 balls on the wheel for the turn signals and 4 way. There is a wireless receiver (mounted behind the dash) that controls the remote so no wires need to go through the column. I have attached some pictures, hope you enjoy. Thanks Pat

More
21 May 2022 04:09 #45451 by pfree3233
Not sure why the pictures 4, 5, and 6 are rotated but I don't know how to correct it at this time. Thanks Pat

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
21 May 2022 04:10 - 21 May 2022 04:19 #45452 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
There is a self-canceling turn signal box available that works with a toggle switch so no unsightly steering column switches. You can hide the toggle under the dash. I have that on two of my cars. I have buzzers on the others to remind me to turn them off, but the box works better. The name of the Co. is Electro-Tech at www.turnswitch.com phone 763-780-2861. They are in MN. The system I buy has the toggle switch and is $150.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 21 May 2022 04:19 by mikespeed35.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds