Skip to main content

More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2022 23:30 #46023 by 1748 S
I too have NOTICED this invasion. I see it all too often now. Even in my email. I wont open the treats telling me how to rid myself of all junk emails. My phone is getting lots of span calls. Some of the callers can barely speak clear enough for my to understand them. They get a very marry sendoff too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David T. McDonald

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
22 Sep 2022 18:48 #46020 by pfree3233
Noticing more posts being hacked, don't open any links, will probably add a virus or worse to your computer. Pat

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 May 2022 04:10 - 21 May 2022 04:19 #45452 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
There is a self-canceling turn signal box available that works with a toggle switch so no unsightly steering column switches. You can hide the toggle under the dash. I have that on two of my cars. I have buzzers on the others to remind me to turn them off, but the box works better. The name of the Co. is Electro-Tech at www.turnswitch.com phone 763-780-2861. They are in MN. The system I buy has the toggle switch and is $150.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 21 May 2022 04:19 by mikespeed35.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
21 May 2022 04:09 #45451 by pfree3233
Not sure why the pictures 4, 5, and 6 are rotated but I don't know how to correct it at this time. Thanks Pat

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
21 May 2022 04:05 #45450 by pfree3233
Joel, not that I'm hijacking your post, Gary mentioned about wireless turn signals and I thought I would share what I'm doing for my speedster build. I decided to run electronic power steering, but by doing so, I lost the ability to pass any wire through the column. I made an aluminum spacer between the wheel and the hub adapter that houses a wireless remote, hard wired to micro switches for the turn signals, 4 way and a paddle switch for the horn button. I am using the 3 balls on the wheel for the turn signals and 4 way. There is a wireless receiver (mounted behind the dash) that controls the remote so no wires need to go through the column. I have attached some pictures, hope you enjoy. Thanks Pat

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 May 2022 03:00 #45448 by 1748 S
One day after lunch with Randy I saw a car the shop was restoring almost ready to show. It had turn blinkers on both sides front n back. I asked if those are a judging deduction. He answered yes but these are removable and wireless. Great idea I thought. I saw the piece on the column and how easily the bumper pieces come off. They were independent of and brake light system too. I did not get a name but I'm sure he would answer questions.

Gary Parsons

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 May 2022 16:04 #45447 by Joel
Thinking it over a little bit, and the potential for adding blinkers, the reason for using LED tail lights is to reduce the load on the brake light switch. The brake light switches rated at 5 amps maximum. LEDs are way under that. I'm not sure about a nice bright incandescent bulb, but at 6 volts it's got to be getting close. So if I install blinkers I could keep the LED bulbs in the rear, but use incandescent in the front. The woodlites have a little lens up in the top that could probably be used for the blinker. The incandescent bulbs in the front would provide enough load to operate the flasher without putting any extra load on the stoplight switch.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
20 May 2022 15:17 #45446 by pfree3233
Joel, if you can't find the proper LED flasher, you maybe able to get away with using a "Dummy Load" sold by Watsons-Streetworks. I'm not sure if they will work with 6volt, they would be the people to answer. Also, I have heard of people wiring in a regular bulb in line, (hide it in the trunk) to make enough load for the original flasher to work. Hope that helps. Pat

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 May 2022 04:27 #45444 by Joel
Your right on that Mike. I suppose blinkers will go onto the to-do list.

Joel Nystrom
[img

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 May 2022 04:14 #45443 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
It should Joel. No one understands your hand out the window.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 May 2022 04:25 #45438 by Joel
Mike, this car doesn't have turn signals, so not an issue. But I do have led bulbs in my hot rod. They don't draw enough current to operate the bimetallic thermal switch in a mechanical flasher. But they make a solid state flasher that works. That car is 12 volt. I'm not sure if that flasher would work in a 6 volt car.

Joel Nystrom
[img

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 May 2022 03:42 #45436 by mikespeed35
The problem with LED is they won't work with turn signals unless you make modifications I have been told. Don't have personal experience.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 May 2022 20:12 #45433 by Joel
I also ordered 6 volt LED dual filament bulbs. 1 red for the right hand light that has a clear lense. The switch has a 5 amp limit, and the led bulbs have very low amp draw.

Joel Nystrom
[img

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
18 May 2022 20:08 #45432 by Joel
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Ron Francis switch from Summit racing. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks for the replies!

Joel Nystrom
[img

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 May 2022 03:57 #45430 by mikespeed35
I learn something every day, Thanks for the info. Pat.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
18 May 2022 03:24 #45429 by pfree3233
Hi Joel,
Hot Rod companies such as Painless wiring and Ron Francis Wiring have low pressure brake light switches. They work in the range of about 20-50 lbs. You may want to try Yogis 800 373 1937, they carry both lines. Good luck Pat
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
17 May 2022 03:50 #45426 by mikespeed35
I have never heard of a more sensitive brake pressure switch. I don't have that problem with my L-29. Have you tried another switch? They have a seal between the brake fluid and the contacts for the switch. When I have cut ones that failed apart, I have found that the contacts had arched enough that the contacts were compromised. May be yours is Failing but still functions with much pressure.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
14 May 2022 13:11 #45409 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
I have NOS 34-36 Auburn, if they are the same.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 May 2022 22:29 #45406 by 1748 S
I recall something about owners that change the brake fluid to synthetic have this issue.

Gary Parsons

• Joel
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 May 2022 17:29 #45400 by Joel
Hi, 

On my 1929 Cord L29, the brake light doesn't come on unless I'm really stomping on the brakes. I have a similar situation in my 49 Plymouth, but not quite as bad. 

Does anybody know of a very sensitive hydraulic brake light switch, something that would activate with just barely a touch of the brakes? Preferably something that could be found locally if a guy had the part number or the application. 

I have considered installing a mechanical switch on the pedal somehow, but it seems it would be much cleaner and simpler to replace the hydraulic switch with a more sensitive one.

Thanks very much, Joel

Joel Nystrom
[img