More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
13 May 2022 17:29 #45400 by Joel
Hi, 

On my 1929 Cord L29, the brake light doesn't come on unless I'm really stomping on the brakes. I have a similar situation in my 49 Plymouth, but not quite as bad. 

Does anybody know of a very sensitive hydraulic brake light switch, something that would activate with just barely a touch of the brakes? Preferably something that could be found locally if a guy had the part number or the application. 

I have considered installing a mechanical switch on the pedal somehow, but it seems it would be much cleaner and simpler to replace the hydraulic switch with a more sensitive one.

Thanks very much, Joel

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
File Attachment:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2022 22:29 #45406 by 1748 S
I recall something about owners that change the brake fluid to synthetic have this issue.

Gary Parsons

More
14 May 2022 13:11 #45409 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
I have NOS 34-36 Auburn, if they are the same.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
17 May 2022 03:50 #45426 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
I have never heard of a more sensitive brake pressure switch. I don't have that problem with my L-29. Have you tried another switch? They have a seal between the brake fluid and the contacts for the switch. When I have cut ones that failed apart, I have found that the contacts had arched enough that the contacts were compromised. May be yours is Failing but still functions with much pressure.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jonathan Richards, 1748 S

More
18 May 2022 03:24 #45429 by pfree3233
Hi Joel,
Hot Rod companies such as Painless wiring and Ron Francis Wiring have low pressure brake light switches. They work in the range of about 20-50 lbs. You may want to try Yogis 800 373 1937, they carry both lines. Good luck Pat
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
18 May 2022 03:57 #45430 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic More sensitive hydraulic brake light switch needed
I learn something every day, Thanks for the info. Pat.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds