Skip to main content

Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2005 01:50 #3452 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic The date & place of the photo
I have discovered the Jean Harlow speedster photo was taken on July 3, 1933 at the National Air Races. Just found a photo of her taken in the stands as she watched the races. Now, if we only knew what happened to the car.

1934 Auburn 652Y Four-Door Sedan
1936 Cord 810 Westchester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2005 18:49 #2929 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster
I have discovered that a Lita Ray Trainer, who was a graduate of TCU, died in 2003 in Arizona. She would have been the right age to have appeared in the photograph. Don't know if any can shed any light on this tie other than what I have found. The obit on line was just three sentences long and did not go into any detail other than birth and death dates.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2005 15:36 #2927 by AceCollins
Thanks. Now we know the man, the event and the time. Wonder if anyone knows if the car survived and where it is today. It would be great at the upcoming Art-Deco Texas show in early April. Again, thanks so much. Anyone have any more information on the car?

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2005 15:01 #2920 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster
Enclosed is the same Auburn with the same man in the drivers seat. This is a "Dick" Whittington photo that I received from his son Ed in Jan 1983. The note with it states that Cliff Henderson is in the drivers seat. Cliff owned the Pan Pacific Auditorium & sold it to E.L. Cord. He was also involved with the 1933 National Air Races & did the commentary. The lady next to the chauffer in uniform is listed as beauty queen, "Miss Lita Ray." If you examine both photos carefully, you see what is listed in my photo as a "Studebaker" radiator ornament but also a small chrome airplane at the base of the windshield center post. The right rear fender is looking a little rough by now as well as the tires are worn smooth. The license plate says OHIO 1933, 36-874. Wow, if we could just go back and zap one of these cars forward to today!
Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
17 Feb 2005 17:24 #2871 by AceCollins
Replied by AceCollins on topic New information
In 1933, Jean Harlow posed for artist Julio De Diego for the National High Speed Air Race Trophy. This might help pin down the location and other information on the picture.

• cbs
  • Visitor
04 Feb 2005 02:50 #2815 by cbs
Replied by cbs on topic Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster
This plane participated in 2 events that may provide clues: 1931 Los Angeles Air Fiesta Pilot Bob Clampett; 1933 National Air Races at Los Angeles; 544 ci Menasco Buccaneer B65 260 HP; Demolished 1936 on landing Pilot Rudy Kling no injury.

• cbs
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2005 23:00 #2814 by cbs
R51Y "San Francisco" (Plane #131) participated in 1932 National Air Races (Cleveland Ohio) Entry by Keith Rider. Check airrace.com

:D

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2005 16:08 #2801 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster
I don't believe it is Roy Hunt, I have the guys name, and some more pictures of just him. Let me look them up, and I'll post it later.

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2005 03:52 #2792 by AceCollins
Now need a good shot of Roy Hunt to see if he is in the photo with the car and Jean. Anyone have one?

Ace Collins

• cbs
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2005 02:10 #2791 by cbs
It's gotta be famous Los Angeles-based stunt man Roy Hunt with his 1930 Ranger C1!

With aircraft number & name emblazoned on the cowel, I hope we don't take more than a few more days to figure this one out. Who else but Roy would set his plane down inside the field?

Somebody's got to have more details! Especially Hollywood fans who can probably access Jean's schedule during this time. Where did this pic come from anyway?

• AceCollins
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2005 03:37 #2787 by AceCollins
No it is not from a movie. I watched all of Harlow's films for a writing project I am doing, she was never in a film that used that car, this location or that wardrobe. This has to be from an event. Don't figure the car was hers, more than likely was there for the event. Note the parade flag sticks on the front bumper. Also note the airplane type goggles on Jean's head. When I first glanced at it, thought this was the a part of the LA 1932 Olympics venues, but might well be a horse race track such as Hollywood Park. Could have been an air race, they were popular in the early thirties. The man in the photo was a not a well known motion picture actor, producer or director, was he possibly the owner of the car? Not only would I love to know why and when the shot was taken, but whatever happened to the car.

Ace Collins
Hillsboro, Texas

New member and recently purchased a 34 652 Y Four Door

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2005 01:40 #2786 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster
I ONCE SAW A MOVIE ABOUT A WOMENS CROSS COUNTRY AIR RACE, PERHAPS CONSIDERING THE ELEMENTS IN THE PICTURE ITS A PUBLICITY STILL FROM THAT MOVIE.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2005 23:37 #2785 by Picture Gallery
Jean Harlow and her Auburn Speedster was created by Picture Gallery
This photo is courtesy of Ace Collins.

We believe this photo of Jean Harlow and an Auburn Speedster was taken in Los Angeles at the Coliseum just after the Olympics.
Can anyone shed some light on this?