Skip to main content

Can you identify this Auburn?

• Nofernandes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
25 Nov 2004 10:27 #2518 by Nofernandes
Replied by Nofernandes on topic Can you identify this Auburn?
Well, tahnk you all for the information i'm very glad you could help me out, my father told me that his mechanics fixed the suspenction but at first it wasn't very good, they had to repair it again, and now it's fine, for the rest of the car, it's not my fathers job, so i guess the owner will take cake of the rest :)

To insert pictures it's easy, simply upload pictures to any ftp/www site, take the full address and here at the Topic/reply zone simply put the code [img]image%20address[/img] as simple as that :)

If i receive more news about the car i'll post them here :)

Compliments,

Nuno Fernandes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• acdclubadmin
  • New Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Nov 2004 05:13 #2517 by acdclubadmin
Replied by acdclubadmin on topic Posting Pictures
Congratulations Nofernandes!

You are one of the few people who has figured out how to post pictures on this website.

Keep up the good work!

Your Auburn is indeed a replica. The pipes on both sides give it away. (V-8 engine) If I was ever to build a "replica" or a "Second Generation Auburn" as Glenn Pray likes to call them, I would make sure that it only had pipes on the driver's side. That's the most obvious giveaway that this is a replica.

Guys who REALLY know these cars, like Stan G., can spot a myriad of details. I found his post to be particularly interesting on the rest of the items to look for.

Check out my pictures of the replica Auburn Speedster in the movie, SEABISCUIT. See the pipes on the wrong side?

[url:ow6azf3a]http://forums.acdclub.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=500&highlight=seabiscuit[/url:ow6azf3a]

Bill Hummel - Webmaster - ACD Club

More
24 Nov 2004 17:38 #2510 by DJT
Replied by DJT on topic Can you identify this Auburn?
^^^what he said. :D

-David
member: Professional Photographer Association
TnT Shutterbug Photography
www.tntshutterbugphotography.com

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Nov 2004 00:42 #2508 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Auburn Replicar
Good to hear back from you!

We offer parts for original Auburn and Cord automobiles in the years 1928-1937. We also provide parts to those who manufacture modern copies of these cars. We have a shop that restores original Auburns and Cords.

An original 1935 or 1936 Auburn Speedster, which this car looks like, would have a straight 8 cylinder flat head engine with the exhaust on the left hand side only. It would have a one barrel carburetor on a round centrifugal supercharger. The electric system would be 6 volts with a generator, not an alternator. the transmission would be a floor shifted, 3 speed with a clutch pedal. The body would be made of steel over a wood frame. The front axle would be an ?I? beam with parallel leaf springs. The rear axle would be as big as a farm truck?s with a 2 speed shift in it. The headlamps on an original do not have a removable bezel and are not sealed beam, the tail lamps are smaller and say ?Auburn? on the glass lens. Air conditioning did not appear in American cars until 1941. The steering column is just a 2 inch steel tube with a black hard rubber 3 spoke steering wheel. An original speedster only has a seat for 2 people and no windows in the doors. The bumpers attach differently onto the body/frame area. The hood would open at a split in line with the exhaust pipes on the left and all the way to the fender on the right. The windshield wipers on this car are too large and mount in the cowl - the originals came through the lower windshield frame. No Auburn ever had the name ?Auburn? on the kick plate. The exhaust pipes look fake on this car, the exhaust doesn?t go through them.

The other information we look for is that it should have a manufacturer?s plate on the right hand side of teh cowl under the hood and the engine should be a Ford or General Motors V-8 if it was built by Elegant Motors in Indianapolis, Indiana or Southeastern Motor Cars in Clearwater, Florida or California Custom Coach in Pasadena, California. These are 3 of the largest firms that built cars like the one shown. There were at least 10 other companies but they usually only built the 2 passenger version. This car is very nice and will be a lot of fun to drive. The ladies always like to ride in a speedster. This one should be fast and dependable. Perhaps you will get to test drive it when it?s ready to go on the highway?

Some times these were owner built ?kit? cars and it is hard to determine what parts were used from the wrecking yard.

We are pleased to correspond with you and learn about this Speedster in Portugal. We have a customer in Portugal that has an original Auburn Speedster and a 1937 Cord Convertible. His email is <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]. Maybe you could see his cars.

Cordially,

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Nofernandes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Nov 2004 00:08 #2506 by Nofernandes
Replied by Nofernandes on topic Can you identify this Auburn?
Hi there, thanxs for the reply, i'd like to know why do you think this is a replica? What do you mean by more information? So the chassis maybe from a Ford or Chevrolet and the body is assembled in one of those 3 companies...interesting :) I'm glad you replied, if you have any more info i'd be happy :)

Best whishes

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Nov 2004 22:46 #2505 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Auburn Information
THIS IS A REPLICA OF A 1935-36 AUBURN BOATAIL SPEEDSTER.
FROM WHAT I CAN SEE IT WAS LIKELY MADE BY ONE OF 3 DIFFERENT COMPANIES HERE IN AMERICA. I WOULD GUESS THAT THE YEAR WAS 1975 TO 1980 APPROXIMATELY. IF WE HAD MORE INFORMATION, IT WOULD HELP, MOST OF THESE AUBURNS WERE BUILT ON MODIFIED
AMERICAN CHASSIS LIKE THE FORD LTD OR CHEVROLET MONTE-CARLO.
THESE REPLICA COMPANIES HAVE MOLDS FOR THE FIBER GLASSBODIES AND THEN CAME TO US FOR BUMPERS, WINDSHEILDS, LOUVER TRIM ,EMBLEMS, AND SO ON. THESE CARS ARE A LOT OF FUN TO DRIVE AND HAVE BEEN IN A LOT OF MOVIES LIKE "DICK TRACY", "WHERE THE SPIES ARE" FOR EXAMPLE. TRY TO EXAMINE THE ENGINE AND YOU SHOULD FIND WHO THE MANUFACTURE WAS FOR THE MECHANICAL PARTS.

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

CORDIALLY
STAN

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Nofernandes
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Nov 2004 19:07 #2503 by Nofernandes
Can you identify this Auburn? was created by Nofernandes
Hi there, this is my first so my sorry if i've made any mistake by posting the pictures here.

I'm a student from Madeira Island , Portugal, Europe and my father owns a mechanic workshop, which works with trucks and light trucks, today a client arrived there with this Auburn, and knew nothing about it, so i decided to take some pictures and try to collect some info on this car. I need to know what's the model, year, everything about the motor(horsepower, cc's ?) if there any parts for it...

I'd be happy if you could help me out, by giving some tips ot advices :)

Ps. Sorry for my english :)