First ACD Club Meet in Canada, October 1955

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2019 20:23 - 09 Jan 2019 20:31 #36377 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic First ACD Club Meet in Canada, October 1955
Congratulations on purchasing the Allsop cabriolet. Canadian ACD Club members like George Van Nostrand or Ric Simpson would know more on Harold. I reside in Australia. Have you seen copies of the original O'Donnell Mackie sales ledger as found
by Jim Brockman? I have attached copies which list all Cords sold in Toronto. Mine has Serial No 810 1586A
Also attached are pictures showing the agency owners Mackie and O'Donnell and the agency in Bay St.

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2019 20:31 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising Text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dryesandno
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2019 05:00 - 06 Jan 2019 05:03 #36366 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic First ACD Club Meet in Canada, October 1955
that is definitely a cool photo. thank you Terry. i have been to harold allsop's many times and his cord was definitely stored in that garage for close to 60 years until his passing. i recently had the good fortune to purchase the allsop cord......so it continues too have unbroken canadian ownership. hopefully we can keep it that way for a few more years too come!!! would certainly appreciate seeing any other photos that might be around with harold, his wife marion and /or his cord. this being the only cabriolet known to have been delivered in Ontario by the O'Donnell Mackie dealership....its a keeper. i believe Harold was a charter member of the club.....do i have that right?
Last edit: 06 Jan 2019 05:03 by dryesandno. Reason: fix spelling

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2018 22:20 #35858 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Mike.
This is most interesting. I see that Summer in Canada runs from June to September so there is not much difference in the timing. What is really interesting is the fact that Wat Adams was there so it was an international event.
After discovering that my Cord was present at the first Reunion in Auburn in 1956 I had a brass badge made to record that historic event. I will be doing another one for Willowdale 1955.
Thanks again,
Terry

T cockerell
Attachments:

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
30 Oct 2018 13:13 #35856 by Mike Brady
Replied by Mike Brady on topic First ACD Club Meet in Canada, October 1955
Terry,
I believe that the sedan closest to the garage was owned by Wat Adams who visited the Allsop's during the summer. Harold's cabriolet is unmistakable as the rear window was only zippered up in the rain. The phaeton is 2288H, which was also sold at O'Donnell Mackie and then owned by my father. Although the photo was printed in October, I believe the photograph was taken earlier that summer.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2018 03:44 - 24 Oct 2018 03:46 #35815 by Terry Cockerell
Gary it has become the Never Ending Story. Before going to Connersville and Auburn this year we went through southern Ontario visiting places and people connected with the car. The first stop was Acton where the original owner of the car Amos Mason lived. We had morning tea in the Mason's old house. The current owners were delighted to have us visit. That was a wonderful and exciting day. Acton is 60 miles west of Toronto. We also visited Hyde House where Amos had operated his knitting mill supplying woollen underwear for millions of children.

T cockerell
Last edit: 24 Oct 2018 03:46 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Spelling error

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2018 00:28 #35813 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic First ACD Club Meet in Canada, October 1955
Wow Terry... Your Actonite sure has seen some history.Glad your car was there in the beginning.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
24 Oct 2018 00:02 #35811 by Terry Cockerell
First ACD Club Meet in Canada, October 1955 was created by Terry Cockerell
An amazing picture recently came to light that was taken during the first unofficial ACD meet in Canada, actually this was held at Harold Allsop's home in Willowdale, Ontario. The really neat part is that the Actonite Cord was there right in the middle of the line up. I do not have any other information on the other Cords. I assume Harold's cabriolet is in front on the Actonite Cord ( that is the grey Westchester with the dark blue fenders )

T cockerell
Attachments: