Skip to main content

I Drove my 1930 L-29 Cord Town Car for the First time

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 May 2016 15:12 #31104 by 1748 S
I agree completely with our President. Please drive this fabulous car more often.
i was only able to drive my 37 812 beverly once and that was maybe 3/4 mile worth of exploration. That was 1976. My father purchased the car in 1961. It was kept in a barn at the Shasta Mission Beverages bottling company on Mission blvd from 1961 till 1967. Every time we were there visiting with the owner of the bottling company I would sneak away to look at this Cord thru the locked gates and wonder what it felt like to drive it. Sadly I have not worked on it much in the last nearly 40 years but. Inspiration has taken ahold and I have worked on it nearly every day for about 3 years now. About a year ago I had a visitor who really wanted to see my car. So after about 6 months of working out a date I get a knock on my front door and there stands Randy Ema.. :D He drove Ron... That is the name he has given to the 1937 Beverly sedan he purchased from Ron Irwin. BTW it is the exact color and style of my Cord. I nearly cried seeing it sitting out front of my home under the huge Liquid Amber trees. I was very emotional seeing that car because I had no idea he owned what I had lived for most of my life. It was a fine example of a fine motor car.
You was a very wonderful car and ANYONE that helps you along to make sure its running and driving correctly is also a treasure. Please drive it and try to do it early Sunday mornings. Not many drivers out at that time. Well at least not here in Whittier Ca...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
19 May 2016 21:47 #31091 by JOEL GIVNER
Eloise,
Congratulations. Now you need to drive it more often. Car looks amazing.

Joel

JEG

• nyleeloise
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
19 May 2016 19:16 #31090 by nyleeloise
Richard Smith an ACD member from San Diego came down a couple of days ago. His yearly visit to Check everything out on my Cord (Tires, Fluid, Gas etc.) (Because my husband Nyle Reed passed away in 2012). Richard Smith is Such a good ACD friend. Than gave me my first driving lesson. I finally drove (my) John Barrymore's Murphy-Bodied 1930 L-29 Cord Town Car for the first time.
It was Amazing. There was a rush inside of me thats hard to explain. Now I know how my husband Nyle Reed felt for over 55 years to drive our beautiful 1930 L-29 Cord Town Car.
My husband Nyle Reed acquired John Barrymore's Murphy-Bodied 1930 L-29 Cord Town Car in 1961 from a chicken coop farmer in Merced, CA. The Cord Town Car is all original. Never been restored :D