Skip to main content

Frank Yount Duesenberg and Cord L-29

• Angelo Van Bogart
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2004 19:07 #2231 by Angelo Van Bogart
Replied by Angelo Van Bogart on topic Frank Yount Duesenberg and Cord L-29
Thanks for sharing the great photos. Can't wait to see more!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Greg Riley
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Apr 2004 01:58 #1633 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic More on Yount
I've been in touch with Yount's grandchildren, and they claim to have more pictures of Frank's "old cars." If they do, I'll post them!
Fred McKinley and I are writing a book on Frank Yount and Yount-Lee Oil. B.T.W. Black and Gold was to honor the source of Yount's fabulous wealth, Black Gold....Texas Oil!

Greg Riley

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 Apr 2004 16:18 #1624 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Yount's cars
When one hears about the "World's Fair" of 1933/34 in Chicago the Duesenberg 20 Grand always comes to mind. Of course, "G" man, "C" note, and "Grand" to mean 1,000 were all conguered up during the depression. After the big crash in 1929, I think that 1933 was teh absolute worst year. It was hoped that the "World's Fair" would help stimulate the economy and we'd get back to normal. That was jobs, a full dinner bucket, a car in the garage, and at least $5.00 per day. Remember, this was a time of 10 hour days and 6 days a week. Likely if a guy was married, his wife couldn't have a job as well. Anyhow, the 20 Grand Duesenberg was briefly known as teh Arlington Sedan with body by Rollston. It was argent in color with a light Haartz top, it was supercharged, and well appointed inside with matching broadcloth and burl walnut and silver inlays. It was the hit of the fair automotive wise.

Mr. Yount's elegant Duesenberg, 6 window, closed car purchased in 1933 was likely overshadowed by the great silver Duesenberg publicity wise. From the article in the Beaumont newspaper, it appears that he took delivery late in 1933 so it did not remain all through the fair. Also, in black with gold striping along with the chrome wire wheels, grille, and other normally chromed parts it would have really stood out. The L-29 Cord Sedan is in nice shape except it seems to have relieved itself! These are great stories.

Thanks,

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Angelo Van Bogart
  • Registered
More
21 Apr 2004 00:13 #1608 by Angelo Van Bogart
Replied by Angelo Van Bogart on topic Frank Yount Duesenberg and Cord L-29
Thanks for posting the great picture and its accompanying information. I wonder what the coupe was... perhaps one of the two Judkins coupes or a LaGrande coupe?

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
15 Apr 2004 21:59 #1587 by Picture Gallery
Frank Yount Duesenberg and Cord L-29 was created by Picture Gallery

Attached is a Picture of Texas oil man Frank Yount with two of his cars a Duesenberg?s, and Cord L-29. Frank owned three Duesenberg?s at the time of his death in 1933. Listed below is a transcription of an article exactly as it appeared in the November 14th Beaumont, TX Journal. Since I was a small child I have heard that he was the original owner of the Duesenberg 20 Grand, but have never been able to confirm or deny if this is true.

Greg Riley

The Beaumont Journal
November 14, 1933

Section A Page 11

World Fair Car Bought by Yount Arrived Monday

A lover of fine machinery, M.F. Yount, whose death occurred late Monday night, had during the recent Chicago Exposition purchased the famous World?s Fair Duesenberg automobile, a sedan, which was delivered to the Yount home Saturday afternoon.

LICENSE PROCURED

Mr. Yount went personally to the railroad yard Saturday with Everett Randall and watched the car as it was unloaded. He, with Randall is the only person who has ridden in the car up to this time. Monday afternoon the license plates were procured

It was while the Yount family was at the Chicago exposition that they saw and admired the car. The motor particularly attracted Mr. Yount, who is so well known for his tinkering about with machinery that they neighbors when he was a boy in Arkansas used to declare that he ?had wheels in his head.?

BLACK AND GOLD

Following its purchase, it was especially decorated, a color scheme of black and gold being followed.

Special compartments are built in the back portion of the front seat and so complete is the equipment that a moving picture camera has even been included.

For the past four years, Mr. Yount has had a Duesenberg coupe, which he always referred to his ?Sunday car,? and which he used only on special occasions. The World?s fair car is the third Duesenberg which the family owns.