1937 CORD 812 S/C PHAETON - BARN FIND

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
More
10 Apr 2012 18:06 #22576 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel created the topic: 1937 CORD 812 S/C PHAETON - BARN FIND
After a 5-day, 12-state, 4,800-mile road trip, Brad Waken and I brought back my new Phaeton from Mill City, Oregon to my car barn in Boerne, Texas. My butt still hurts!

This car has not moved since 1957. The body is straight and all the chrome parts have been purchased over the years and were included. Lots of 50-year old packages from Stan Gilliland, Glenn Pray, J. K. Howell, and others have been opened just enough to see what is inside. It was like a giant Easter Egg hunt. Every package yielded a surprise! Acorn nuts, cigarette lighters, towel bars, brake and clutch pads, bumpers, hubcaps, a completely rebuilt Schwitzer-Cummins supercharger and on and on ... its all been done.

I am bringing this car to Auburn, "as is". Brad seems to feel that this car will clear up a number of old arguments and mis-conceptions. While the interior was replaced years ago and the bumpers replaced, enough has not been touched to make this car worth studying.

To my knowledge, no club members have seen this car. Jim Wilson, a Charter Club Member and an Honorary Club Member, never brought it to Auburn or the West Coast Meet. He purchased it in 1952 for $900.00. Technically, he was the third owner, as a car dealer had it for a week or two. He drove it for 5 years. I suspect the supercharger failed. He had put a standard manifold on it to drive it a little longer. The last time he ever drove it was 1957. Sadly, he passed away in 2007, never realizing his dream. I've told his widow, Alice and her daughters, that the deal is not done, until they have come to Auburn and ridden in the fully restored car in the parade.

I am very excited, this is an aspect of the club that I have not experienced. That's the excitement of restoring a car correctly, versus glossing over a modified car.

Alice says goodbye to her old Cord. Check out the date on the license plate! And look at that trailer hitch!

Breakfast stop in Phoenix, AZ. Bruce Hanson & Brad Waken like what they see! A rebuilt supercharger!

A stop at the TOM MIX CRASH SITE MEMORIAL near Florence, AZ on the way back home

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2012 20:52 #22577 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Wow. It looks great.

Any particular reason you went the northern route on the way there? The trip back looks to be shorter.

• Bill Hummel
  • Bill Hummel's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 Apr 2012 21:40 #22578 by Bill Hummel
Bill Hummel replied the topic: Route
I had to pick up Brad Waken in Enid, OK.

He was a lifesaver. Not only did he help with the driving, he made sure that I didn't leave any parts there!

To take a week off to help me bring back this Cord went way beyond the call of duty. I rewarded him with all the Beef Jerky and Pretzels that he could eat!

I then put him on Southwest Airlines back up to OKC after we spent an afternoon inventorying parts. I sent him off with some drink coupons. I bet he fell asleep instead of drinking a few beers. We were worn out!

More
12 Apr 2012 21:24 #22583 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic:
Hi Bill,

This car and your retrieval of it spell ADVENTURE all over!!! What a great story for posterity.

BTW--My dad bought my Cord in 1950 for $150.00, whereas the cost of what is now yours was $900.00. Sigh--convertibles ALWAYS cost more than sedans, no matter the brand name.

Please keep us posted on this car.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
12 Apr 2012 22:08 #22584 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
One of my good friends had the opportunity to buy a Duesenberg for $1500 in the 1950s. When he is inevitably asked if he regrets not buying it, he says, "No, $1500 was as hard to come by then as the million would be now."

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
13 Apr 2012 00:06 #22585 by Tom Georgeson
Tom Georgeson replied the topic: bumper guards
The bumper guards on the front of Bill's phaeton are the kind that had some comments made a while ago. They only have two ridges unlike the factory ones that have three. In my 54 years in the Club I don't remember ever seeing these for sale. Joe Knapp didn't do them that I can remember. Maybe the factory, though I don't remember them being advertised? As an add note, as I was looking through Josh's books I noticed that some of the cars pictured at the factory have no bumper guards while some do. Could be they were an extra charge item?

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds