Skip to main content

CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY

More
23 Mar 2009 18:16 #13010 by Bicknell
Replied by Bicknell on topic Cord Ambulance
Perhaps I can add something to the Cord Ambulance story. My wife's grandfather worked at the Knightstown Body Shop in Knightstown, Indiana in the 1930's and told me he worked on the Cord Ambulances. At first I questioned him thinking they were probably L29's. However, he was insistent that they were the 810/812 style (he wasn't sure which). He stated that there were two built. He also added to the story by saying that when delivering one of them it was hit by a locomotive while crossing a RR track. It was brought back to the shop and fixed. I have a photograph of one of the cars.
Bill Bicknell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curtis Bartell
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2009 23:37 #12619 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY
Looks like the ambulance in the vintage photo was made from a standard sedan, while the Uruguay car was made from a custom sedan. Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

• kbenefie
  • Registered
More
27 Jan 2009 21:54 #12569 by kbenefie
Replied by kbenefie on topic Ambulance update
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I thought you might find this interesting.
I've e-mailed back and forth with the guy from Uruguay a couple of times.
Here are a couple more pics that he e-mailed me.

He also sent me some numbers that I thought I'd post. He said that the car will be for sale as soon as he is finished.

ser. 10033b 135" MODEL 812
ENGINE FB 1412 (maybe it has been changed)
FRAME 9033
Body C106-102

Would anybody here know about these numbers? Also, I'm pretty sure that I know of one in the midwest (Illinois) that has been cut up to a regular cord length. The guy in Uruguay says it is one of 3 originals, but I thought there were only 2. Can anyone confirm this? The guy I know who has the chopped Ambulance says there were only two and that as far as he knows, the other was destroyed. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks guys
Kyle Benefield

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Dec 2005 03:50 #4127 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY
GOT OFF MY BUTT AND GOT OUT THE CRESTLINE BOOK BY BUTLER, PAGE 332 SHOWS DRIVER SIDE VIEW OF THIS CAR(ONE OF TWO) I HAD THE LIMA PART RIGHT BUT IT WAS SUPERIOR COACH WORKS. IT WOULD BE INTERESTING TO KNOW IF THIS WAS THE ONE FROM THE UNDERTAKER IN LIMA, OR ATHENS, OHIO, AND HOW THE HECK IT GOT TO SOUTH AMERICA?
AN INTERESTING ASIDE IS THE STORY OF HOW THE AUBURN HEARSE/AMBULANCE ENDED UP IN THE ACD MUSEUM. IT WAS HERE IN COLUMBUS FOR MANY YEARS AND BELONGED TO MY FRIEND BOB JOHNSON(WHO PASSED AWAY A FEW YEARS AGO WHILE WE WERE ATTENDING AUBURN IN HIS 851 PHAETON), I KNEW TOM BUSCH WELL FROM THE DAYS WHEN I HAD MY 654 CABRIOLET(SOLD TO BOB BUTLER WHO FINNISHED IT, AND TAKES IT ON THE HOOSIER TOUR EVERY YEAR),AND HIS FIRST AUBURN WAS ALSO A SIX, BACK IN THE DAYS WHEN A SIX WAS RARE AT AUBURN, SAW TOM IN HERSHEY, HE WAS LOOKING FOR A "CHEAP AUBURN" TO RESTORE. HE HAD JUST SOLD A SC PHAETON THAT BELONGED TO JIM MALLOY(MY BEST FRIEND) IN 1977,LORD KNOWS WHO HAD IT BETWEEN THEM, BUT WE GOT A HECK OF A KICK OUT OF IT WHEN TOM SHOWED UP WITH IT IN AUBURN(IT WAS HARD TO FORGET,DARN THING WAS PAINTED PEA SOUP GREEN, WITH ORANGE WHEELS) , MENTIONED BOB'S HEARSE TO HIM. ITS A SAD STORY AFTER THAT. I THINK IT WAS WRITTEN UP IN THE NEWSLETTER BACK THEN, BEFORE TOM'S ILLNESS WAS FOUND. ITS FUNNY HOW YOU MAKE FRIENDS IN THIS CLUB, IT JUST OCCURRED TO ME THAT WES MYRICK BECAME A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE ALSO BECAUSE HE USED TO BRING HIS SIX CABRIOLET TO AUBURN BACK THEN(LATE 70'S) AND SIXES WERE SO RARE WE ALL HAD TO TALK TO EACH OTHER, GARY GRCIC ALSO A GOOD FRIEND HERE IN COLUMBUS SPENT MANY YEARS RESTORING HIS 34 653 PHAETON, BUT HE REALLY GOT IT RIGHT, ITS BEEN ON THE MAIN FLOOR OF THE MUSEUM NOW FOR SEVERAL YEARS.
SORRY TO RAMBLE SO MUCH I GUESS ITS "STREAM OF THOUGHT NIGHT"
ALSO JUST REALIZED I PROBABLY SOUND LIKE A GRIZZLED VETERAN BUT I"M ONLY 53, I KNEW EARLY ON THAT ACD CARS WERE THE STUFF OF MY DREAMS, GOT THE BUG AND NEVER LOOKED BACK.

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
13 Dec 2005 02:31 #4126 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY
This may well be one of the so-called "ambulances". (At least one other one is known to still reside in the United States.)

Eduardo told me that got it "as is" about 25 years ago, in Uruguay. He says " . . . the only thing that I changed is the back doors, they were in the middle and I put it in the back." That jibes, because the photos we have of one "ambulance" shows the rear door in the "stretch" section at the center.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Dec 2005 00:56 #4125 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY
I REMEMBER NOW IT WAS AN AMBULANCE, BUT IT LOOKED VERY MUCH LIKE THIS CAR, IT WAS A SIDE LOAD. BUT HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, CHECK OUT THE WEBSITE IN THE ORIGINAL POST, I COUNT 5 OR SIX CORDS, PLUS 2 FOR SALE. THIS GUY MUST HAVE BOUGHT EVERY CORD IN SOUTH AMERICA.

851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Dec 2005 00:44 #4124 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic CORD LIMO
THERE WAS, I CAN'T REMEMBER WHICH, A CORD LIMO OR AMBULANCE ORIGINALLY OWNED BY A FUNERAL HOME IN ATHENS OHIO. I SEEM TO RECALL IT WAS BUILT BY MILLER IN LIMA

851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly

• sunroofcord
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2005 18:22 #4123 by sunroofcord
Replied by sunroofcord on topic CORD LIMOUSINE
I believe he mentioned some where on his web site that this was being built from one of the three original Cord Ambulances. I know there are pictures of such in an old ACD Newsletter as well as Don Butlers Auburn Cord Duesenberg Crestline Book.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2005 16:29 #4122 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY
Well, it looks like it will still be front wheel drive. (Great car for the senior prom!)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Niko Moritz
  • Visitor
12 Dec 2005 08:12 #4121 by Niko Moritz
Replied by Niko Moritz on topic CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY
I doubt if this is an original model. However, I have seen an old photo of the design studio at Auburn with all sorts of Cord clay models etc. On the wall there was hanging a drawing of a limousine that looked similar to this one. So at least the company was considering building a car of that kind.

• Picture Gallery
  • Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2005 17:08 #3985 by Picture Gallery
CORD LIMOUSINE RESTORATION IN URUGUAY was created by Picture Gallery
Mr. Eduardo Ponce De Leon Zas from Uruquay is restoring a Cord Limousine. We are trying to find out when this car was modified and by whom.

Find out more from his website: www.classic-cars.8m.com/aboutme.htm