Skip to main content

Cord 810 photo in Huntington Library, Pasadena, California

• danslos
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2022 00:52 #44635 by danslos
Yeah, I decided to leave that one alone since we already had a good photo of the car.

Not that Arthur Cernitz isn't a fascinating guy. I get the sense he was something of a huckster if not a full-on con artist. He arrived in Los Angeles claiming to be  "heir to the throne of the principality of Burkovina [sic] in the former kingdom of Austria Hungary." For at least a few months in 1936, he advertised a patent medicine called Mazadyne that I suspect was a sham.

I posted a few more nuggets about Mr. Cernitz here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2022 04:22 - 06 Jan 2022 04:27 #44625 by johnmereness
Best we stick with Jeannette

JMM
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jan 2022 04:27 by johnmereness.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Dec 2021 20:58 #44560 by Terry Cockerell
A wonderful set of pictures of an ultra modern Art Deco house complemented by the equally ultra modern Cord. It is amazing what is tucked away in libraries.

T cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: danslos

• Rileypu29
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Dec 2021 00:03 #44534 by Rileypu29
Hi Gary,

Back in the 1930's cars were issued a new metal plate each year with the color of the plate changing each year. There were no additional metal tabs or stickers used as registration indicators, those did not come about until WWII and after. This car could be a 1936 or a 1937 that has been registered for 1938 and got the new plates. Here are how the 1936, 1937 and 1938 plates looked:

Best regards,
Bill

Bill Kastanis
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Dec 2021 23:38 #44533 by 1748 S
And now the plot deepens. I'm not sure when this "38 Plate" came out but... If it was 1938 then this can still be a rather new Cord sold in the first month of 1937. I recall no 812 Cords were made after June 1937 except the one prototype we know of. I also noticed in this new picture the passenger side front tire appears to be well worn... Or it could be the angle of the picture. The center looks well worn.

Gary Parsons

• danslos
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
21 Dec 2021 21:18 - 21 Dec 2021 21:19 #44532 by danslos
I went back to the Huntington website and downloaded the highest resolution version they have. When I blew up that one, it seems to clearly show "1938." For some reason, that gets lost in version I originally posted.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2021 21:19 by danslos.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Dec 2021 21:05 #44531 by 1748 S

JIM.OBRIEN wrote: When I blow up the photo, the license plate says 1930??? It appears to be the original tires with no wear on them. Maybe this is when they bought the car brand new. Very interesting.

Jim the plate does say 1930 but.. This could easily be that particular series of California plates. It never meant this is the year of the car or the plate. I think the most collected California plate is the coveted "Black Plate". It was on many cars thru the 1950's.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Dec 2021 20:13 #44530 by JIM.OBRIEN
When I blow up the photo, the license plate says 1930??? It appears to be the original tires with no wear on them. Maybe this is when they bought the car brand new. Very interesting.

• danslos
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2021 13:40 #44520 by danslos
While doing some genealogy research, I stumbled on the attached photo taken at 601 Amalfi Dr., Pacific Palisades, California, the home of Arthur Cernitz and has wife, Jeannette. That's probably her beside the car, but I'm not certain since there are no other public photos of her as an adult. Jeannette Cernitz and her first husband, George Warrington Curtis, are the grandparents of American marathon swimmer Diana Nyad.

Complete set of photos here: Arthur W. Cernitz residence.