Skip to main content

New Website Questions and Answers

More
24 Sep 2023 14:40 #47775 by C.R.D.
Replied by C.R.D. on topic New Website Questions and Answers
Tom anytime there is a change it takes many of us a while to adjust as we are creatures of habit and dislike change.
I just want to let you know that we appreciate all your time and effort. So from all us; THANK YOU!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JIM.OBRIEN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2023 21:01 - 23 Sep 2023 21:02 #47774 by thomaslee
Replied by thomaslee on topic New Website Questions and Answers
Unfortunately they (private messages) were not saveable. The old system was end of support and the new system does not have the same function. There is a PM function, which we had turned on, but it didn’t actually work. I can re-enabled it, but the old messages are not accessable
Last edit: 23 Sep 2023 21:02 by thomaslee.

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2023 20:39 #47773 by thomaslee
One additional item — I just tested going from quick reply to the editor and it did not delete my message

I did it with this reply and it worked just fine.

-Tom

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2023 20:38 #47772 by thomaslee
Brad

Thank you for the questions and comments.

I’ll address one now — the others I will look into and get back to you (and everyone else on)

- is there anyway to set view or style preferences? I would prefer not to stare at the stark white page and perhaps change the background to provide more contrast

You can go into your preferences and make layout & display changes.
If you click on your avatar in the upper right corner, you can access preferences.
There you can do things like show or hide your email, change display settings, etc.

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2023 20:26 #47771 by thomaslee
Yes there is. Let me see where that setting is and i’ll enabled it. good catch

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2023 20:25 #47770 by thomaslee
Gary

It’s just not working as it is supposed to. Log in works fine. Sorry you have to log in every time. We are looking into it, but we’re not sure what is going on.
It’s probably a browser setting that needs to be changed as this is a different version from the previous forum.

I’ll keep digging into it and we’ll figure it out eventually

#firstworldproblems

• pfree3233
  • Registered
More
23 Sep 2023 15:15 #47769 by pfree3233
Replied by pfree3233 on topic New Website Questions and Answers
Hi Tom, is there any way you can add a date, time, to the posts? It would be helpful to know if someone may be responding to a very old post. Thanks Pat

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2023 23:50 #47740 by thomaslee
I will fix this for you

I’ve reported the remember me function not working tonour web hosting company
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
17 Sep 2023 23:42 #47739 by 1748 S
Today..... Every time I wanted to go online to see what new questions were posted I HAD to log in again.... Each time I re- logged in I hit the remember me... But its useless. Three times I had to log in as if I had logged out.. Which I did not. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a rollout glitch in the new system. Help is needed using this new system.

Gary Parsons

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2017 00:22 #33725 by thomaslee
Jonathan - I am not aware of a way to adjust the timeout, but I will look into this and see what I can find

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
23 Oct 2017 21:48 #33721 by Jonathan Richards
Mr. Lee , Recently I have been composing a "Quick Reply" to a post to the website and before I am finished with my message a "Warning" box has come up advising that my time has expired. I am known to be "Long Winded" in my writing and wonder if there is a way to extend the time allowed and/or to allow retrieval the partially finished reply and go on to finish it. Thanks for your help, Jack Richards

• Brad Hoskins
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2017 06:46 #32420 by Brad Hoskins
Replied by Brad Hoskins on topic New Website Questions and Answers
Tom

Thanks for the reply.
Not trying to knock what volunteers put together and I do appreciate the forum being available for us. I'm sure there is a lot more to setting one up than meets the eye and I certainly don't have a clue what it costs to provide a forum. Undoubtedly, AACA has more $$ than the ACDC! I'm certainly no expert so I don't quite understand why PM"s wouldn't be backed up and available like one does with their PC.
However, this is the second time information has been lost with an upgrade. The same thing happened in, I think, 2004. At least this time the posts themselves were not lost, but it sure would have been nice to give the members can to make their own efforts to save messages. I guess the best advice is to use your own email instead of the handy PM function if you want to ensure messages don't disappear on the future. ...twice bitten now!
In the spirit of moving forward perhaps I can get you started on some tips that might be available to help with the following issues. Maybe other members have the same questions.. I sure hope you will also post them here and not just in the Newsletter!
- Going to 'editor' from 'quick reply' deletes your partially composed message. Done that twice now, slow learner I guess! How does one stop that from happening?
- can you stop 'quick reply' from double spacing text on 'enter'
- Can you make 'reply' a visible radio button instead of hiding it in an 'action' drop down menu
- the 'reply' text box always opens up as one line only and does not expand as you type. You have to manually drag the box open. Is there a fix for that?
- is there anyway to set view or style preferences? I would prefer not to stare at the stark white page and perhaps change the background to provide more contrast
- each post seems abnormally large for the page meaning only a couple of posts per page. Is there anyway to condense the posts so there are less pages
- why did i get this message?
Error
You have entered information to an obsolete form from another session. Please verify that the user account is yours and please try again!

Thanks again
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2017 01:11 #32418 by thomaslee
Brad,

as you suspected, we were unable to archive or migrate those messages, and unfortunately they were lost. yes, there was consideration, but due to a variety of technical reasons, we could not keep them. sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused.
to your other comments, all I can say is that the new forum has been researched and is in many ways, better and more usable than the old forums. we do not have the resources nor the funds that the AACA has. we try to provide the best experience that we can with what we have to work with. that said, I will be writing a series of "help topics" articles in upcoming Newsletters that will talk about using some of the new features and capabilities of the forums now.
there were many things "wrong" and problematic with the old system. I understand that any new system is problematic to learn, but I hope that in time, it will get easier to use.
I will point out that one key consideration of the new forum was something that would be easy to use and also easy to manage. we needed a way to link club membership to the forum and allow us to better managed club memberships online. the old system was very manual and there were constant complaints about the stability, password issues, and other problems.
in time, we'll get used to the new system.
Thank you for your patience.

-Tom

• Brad Hoskins
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2017 05:20 #32410 by Brad Hoskins
Tom
I think I probably know the answer but I'll ask anyway...
Were they backed up and archived somewhere and can they be accessed some other way? Was there any consideration to storing them or even issuing a warning before the changeover occurred?
I'm really doing my best to get used to the forum. I am on a number of other forums and I have to say that this new format is particularly ....difficult....... to be kind. It seems to have its own sort of non-standard feel about it, not sure what great advantages it confers over other forums ( See AACA for instance which , even when it gets tweaked every few years retains the same basic operability.) . I suppose all will be revealed but this reminds me too much of the new system at work that we got three years ago that was supposed to help employees with marvelous efficiencies and which I still struggle with everyday.
Bit late to ask I suppose but what exactly was wrong with the old forum and why exactly was this one chosen?
Thanks
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2017 03:34 #32409 by thomaslee
Brad,

old private messages could not be moved from the old forum to this new one. sorry.

-Tom

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2017 03:09 #32408 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic New Website Questions and Answers

Brad Hoskins wrote: I had occasion to look in my inbox for an old private meI was reading this same question a few days back. Sadly it turns out the new web site coulod not take the old information as you asked about. I too lost plenty of great information. Even doubly sad is some of the members have passed on that shared valuable information with me. I was keeping it for references.ssage. There was information in there than I was keeping.
They appear to be gone from the new forum.
Where doI find them or are they really gone?

Thanks
Brad

• Brad Hoskins
  • Registered
More
31 Jan 2017 02:51 #32407 by Brad Hoskins
I had occasion to look in my inbox for an old private message. There was information in there than I was keeping.
They appear to be gone from the new forum.
Where doI find them or are they really gone?

Thanks
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

• Frank L
  • Visitor
12 Jan 2017 07:13 #32261 by Frank L
Replied by Frank L on topic New Website Questions and Answers
Thank you Tom, I will.
Frank

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2017 12:24 #32256 by thomaslee
Frank,

send me an email to webmaster at acdclub dot com and I can reset your account for you

-Tom

• Frank L
  • Visitor
11 Jan 2017 07:20 #32252 by Frank L
Gary, for some reason my old login(Frank&JJ) was lost during the website renewal.
I'm struggeling a bit to get that recovered.
Frank

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jan 2017 01:27 #32251 by thomaslee
Frank,

those forums are open to ACD Club members.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jan 2017 19:23 #32249 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic New Website Questions and Answers
I'm finding everything for sale or trade in the Flea Market section. Below this main forum you can find all the subcategories for Cords Auburn's or duesenbergs plus many other items.

• Frank L
  • Visitor
10 Jan 2017 07:23 #32241 by Frank L
I seem to have lost the for sale forum.
Is this gone or is this because of my new log in ?

• thomaslee
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Dec 2016 00:43 #32033 by thomaslee
New Website Questions and Answers was created by thomaslee
This thread can be used to ask questions about the new website. I will try to reply to all questions.
Also, I will post periodic "tips" here as well

The first tip is that you can make the "message" box larger when you are composing a new post by clicking and dragging the little corner indicator in the Message window. that will allow you to see more than 1 or 2 lines as you are typing

-Tom