New Membership Platform: Membee

The ACD Club is rolling out a new online membership system. All ACD Club Members should have receivied an email with enrollment instructions. You will use your email address as your login, and select a new password. This account will be used to renew your membership, update membership information, and make changes to your membership record.

This account is NOT THE SAME as your current account which you use to access the ACD Website Forums. Please continue to log into the Forums with the same username and password as you have always used. In the future we may consolidate the two accounts.

100 years ago, Tommy Miltons Duesenberg went 150. Where is it now?UPDATE W VIDEO

More
12 Apr 2020 22:08 #39926 by rdsieber
Terry:
That is a great image of a Christie. From where did you get it?
And, is that Barney Oldfield driving? Just wondering...
=rdsieber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2020 15:26 #39932 by RandyEma
Mike Yes this was straight line runs only no ovals at Daytona . And we appreciate you six feet back of your screen ,but is your mask on?. R

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
13 Apr 2020 19:45 #39935 by Joel
Miltons car did catch fire on the record run, hence the scorched hood. He drove it into the ocean to save it.
With those 3 pedals, I'm assuming that 2 must be for clutches. Some land speed cars of the day did not have clutches or gear boxes, they were direct coupled from the flywheel to the axles with no means of disengagement. They just push started them and killed the motor to stop. They moved them with the drive wheels off the ground.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
File Attachment:

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
13 Apr 2020 21:26 #39940 by Joel
I just found something really cool! A video of Miltons land speed car at the 1920 Indianapolis 500. Why was it there? Just to show it off and celebrate?

Tommy Milton video

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
File Attachment:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
13 Apr 2020 22:22 - 13 Apr 2020 22:24 #39941 by Terry Cockerell
The picture was found on the Internet in Google Images. Yes I believe the driver was Barney Oldfield. There is also Christie site where I found more amazing picture. Check out the engine details and early "Constant Velocity Joints".
The cylinders were laid back wards in order to put some weight on the rear axle, similarly with the location of the huge radiator. What a beast!

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 22:24 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding pictures

• JIM.OBRIEN
More
13 Apr 2020 23:53 #39942 by JIM.OBRIEN
Terry,
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but this car is very interesting to the engineer/mechanic in me. I think these photos may be of two different cars, I see several different details. But also I don't see any signs of a gas tank, carb, electrical system or instruments. This must have been a beast to attempt to drive. I would love to see more details on this car.
Jim

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds