• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Apr 2013 04:47 #24940 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic ~
Thank's Randy !
So Robert Osborne of TCM was indeed correct that the Duesenberg Bros. were highly involved race consultants connected with this movie.

As a side note~
I just saw on a vintage movie website that they rigged-up a towbar on his race car for Cagney to do many of the race sequences with some real racers driving in the background~

In other more spectacular & risky race & crash scenes they used a backscreen projector with Cagney's racecar photographed in front of the real projected racetrack scene action images.
Real "Movie Magic" special effects of the day used here!

Most of the drivers, mechanics, & race team owners featured in this movie were really noteworthy, & very famous racing folks, of this 20s-30s era.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
28 Mar 2013 19:31 #24894 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic 1932 Cagney Indy/Duesenberg Race Movie
Yes it is true. The race car fire is in fact a Duesenberg 1930 race car . Fred had them one evening to the house for Dinner. Randy

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
28 Mar 2013 02:41 #24889 by silverghost
1932 Cagney Indy/Duesenberg Race Movie was created by silverghost
I am sitting here now watching the Howard Hawks directed Warner Bros. movie~
~~~"The Crowd Roars" ~~~~
a 1932 James Cagney Indy auto race movie on Turner Classic Movies (TCM).
Duesenbergs are mentioned several times during the movie plot by James Cagney, & others during the movie's plotline.
Miller & Duesenberg race cars are also featured in this film.
One race team owner/mechanic in the movie is actually called "Fred" !
It does not appear to me to be Fred Duesenberg however ???

Before the movie actually started TCM host Robert Osborne stated that the two famous Duesenberg auto & race car builder brothers were brought in as consultants during the 1932 production of the movie to help set up very realistic race & crash scenes for the race movie.

Has anyone ever heard this fun Duesenberg Brothers fact before ?
The Duesenberg Brothers hired as 1930's race movie consultants ?

Is there any more information known about this fun 1932 Jimmy Cagney auto race movie and it's production history; & specifically the Duesenberg brothers actual real connection to it's production by any other ACD forum members, & Duesenberg historians, here on this website?

Everyone here should see this race movie !
I believe it was releaed on DVD in 2012 according to my late night web search ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector