Skip to main content

Sales talk

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2013 02:16 #24441 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Sales talk
I'm pretty sure there was a full-page L-29 ad with a similar quote attributed to E.L. Maybe one of the L-29 guys can find/post it.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2013 15:55 #24426 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Sales talks
Hello all: yes, there was a 1930 in-house publication called "Sales Talks.". I contacted Jon Bill, archivist at the ACDA Museum, to see if the museum had a copy. The museum has one hand written copy, and a printed copy.
This 87 page document was designed for the Auburn Automobile Co. Salesmen to talk to potential customers about the new front drive car called the L-29. Mr. Cord's name is only mentioned once on page 39. He called the L-29 his "dream car," and from then on it became the Cord Front Drive. The publication even discusses what percentage of customers would buy $3000 cars. On page 86, an engineer from MIT, one Eric Hodgins, states that "within five years from the introduction of the First Front Drive, Rear Drive cars will be as funny as 1902 Popes or Stanleys."
Yes, the A.A.C. Was a few decades ahead with that prediction. Made by an engineer no less, and not Mr. Cord as I had thought.
Jon Bill said he would try to make copies to be sold at the museum.
One question remains. How and why did A.A.C. Pick Eric Hodgins for that quote and prediction?
CORDially, Tim.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Jan 2013 22:25 #24324 by Tim Gilmartin
Sales talk was created by Tim Gilmartin
Hello all: in the ACD lore, it has been said that E.L. Cord wrote an article about front drive automobiles, and that he predicted in three years, most manufacturers would also have front drive. This was in 1929! Does anyone know if this is true, and in what publication was that article? Was there a publication called "Sales Talk"? If so, was it an in-house Auburn publication, a trade magazine, or something else. I'd sure like to see a copy for my records.
CORDially, Tim.