Saint Paul Minnesota Duesenberg Factory - address?

• West Peterson
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
08 Apr 2013 17:28 #24956 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic: Re: Duesenberg in Minnesota

hessacres wrote: My records show his shop was at 2654 University Ave, St Paul. It really was not a "factory" as most of the work was custom. The shop was for 1915-1917. I have seen some references to Duesenberg Motor Company starting in 1913 but I believe this is in Error. Can anyone provide any actual data to show they were in MN in 1913?

In an historical series I did on Duesenberg for Cars & Parts back in 2003, I received information from H. Milton Duesenberg, a family historian from Des Moines, that the Duesenbergs went to St. Paul in 1914, partnering (my word, probably not a true partnership) with Louis C. Erbes.

"Erbes was aquainted with Fred and August Duesenberg, and leased buildings to them [in St. Paul] to build their cars. He seems to have taken an interest in acquiring the company run by their old boss [Mason], as he makes an arrangement with Ira Hoover to buy the whole concerns. Erbes had grand schemes to use the factory to continue building cars, and manufacturing race cars for competetion, He spents a great deal of capital to bring in stock from other car makes that were defunct, like Cutting, Clarke-Carter, and Milwaukee, and his own car make of L.C.E. . He also had planned to manufacture the Blackhawk 48 there as well. Most of this new inventory was brought in from Jackson, Illinois by train. The entire business is now being called "The Mason Motor Parts Company", and even though he spends a great deal of money to get the stock to this factory, he fails to advertise much locally, and fails to win many races.
What he does do is preside over the auctioning and dismemberment of all the stock, equpment and the building itself on January 3rd and 4th, 1917, leaving only the factory building to the next occupant, and all the contents to be scattered across the country." -- Waterloo City Directory 1916

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• West Peterson
More
08 Apr 2013 17:54 #24957 by West Peterson
West Peterson replied the topic:
The January 2, 1915 issue of [u:wbm1he3a][i:wbm1he3a]Automobile Topics[/i:wbm1he3a][/u:wbm1he3a] states that the Duesenbergs have already set up shop on 2654 University Avenue in "Minneapolis." So that would confirm the 1914 date in which they moved to Minnesota.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds