Skip to main content

• HenryBraxton
  • Registered
More
04 Dec 2019 14:26 #38978 by HenryBraxton
Replied by HenryBraxton on topic New Member
Do not take the discussion the wrong way. A couple of us can make lists for even 100 point cars (we have been into every nut and bolt and will openly say we are still learning every single day too). The car appears decent enough, but I would factor in some pocket change if you want it correct matched to my personal opinion is most cars take some degree of extra work to tour them successfully.
https://tradevenue.sehttps://tradevenue.se

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Jul 2019 04:06 #37878 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic New Member
Driving a ACD car at sustained speeds of 75 MPH wouldn't be safe either.!!!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
26 Jul 2019 19:20 - 26 Jul 2019 19:29 #37873 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic New Member
Price: Seems fair and cars rarely come up in this price range. Car would be worth more if they had given it more attention at time of 'restoration." That said, the better the price the more you can spend to correct its flaws. You can leave the flaws alone (as decent enough with flaws), but then do not expect it to be worth any more than roughly its current price (more take than give). You will find my list of incorrect (and it is just a cursory list) on page 3 of the AACA page referenced early in this discussion. As to correct verses incorrect - the list is pretty typical for an Auburn of the era. And, if the list items were corrected, I would guess to say car would be pushing 100K.

JMM
Last edit: 26 Jul 2019 19:29 by johnmereness.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
26 Jul 2019 19:14 - 26 Jul 2019 19:23 #37872 by johnmereness
How fast: A comfortable 65 with enough power to pass at higher speed for a few minutes (but not long term). And 55mph all day long without a care in the World. If you want a car of this era, then you had best be rethinking your driving habits - ieI would be thinking about the State Route's. Or you can beat it to death and spend all your pocket change rebuilding everything multiple times (sorry for my bluntness) .

JMM
Last edit: 26 Jul 2019 19:23 by johnmereness.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2019 20:03 #37841 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic New Member
Send me a private message with your phone number, and a good time to call.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ACD35
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2019 19:01 #37839 by ACD35
Replied by ACD35 on topic New Member
Thanks for your thoughts. The car I'm looking at is a cabriolet coupe, also discussed on the AACA forum. It's on eBay, but better pictures are here:
www.spudsgarage.com/vehicles/35AuburnCHRA/index.htm
It seems like a good price for a driver quality car. What do you think?

So, how fast? I often drive from Atlanta to North Carolina, about two hours each way. Interstate speeds average 80-85 mph, but 75 would do it. Anything less wouldn't be safe.

I maintain my own cars, so I appreciate the comment of how things depend on the card condition. One of them is a Morgan, which is pre-war technology except for the engine and transmission, which date from the 1960's. So while I can likely work on an Auburn, I wonder if parts are a problem? How available and how expensive are they?

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2019 17:33 - 21 Jul 2019 17:36 #37838 by johnmereness
If you are looking at the Cabriolet for sale on ebay there is some discussion on the AACA forum.

forums.aaca.org/topic/329976-auburn-for-sale/

There is also a tan Cabriolet in the Club newsletter, as well as a red Cabriolet via www.hymanltd.com

Do not take the discussion the wrong way. A couple of us can make lists for even 100 point cars (we have been into every nut and bolt and will openly say we are still learning every single day too). The car appears decent enough, but I would factor in some pocket change if you want it correct matched to my personal opinion is most cars take some degree of extra work to tour them successfully.

The cars are capable of freeways speeds, but the State Route is a far better choice for anything other than a few minutes.

There are not many people successfully touring with Supercharged cars (which is what I started out looking for) - the non-S/C cars do just fine (our car has been toured for 42K miles). It is not that you cannot get a S/C car tour-able, it is that they tend to be a bit more challenging to restore and given they were the original "hot rod" sort to speak there are plenty that were driven hard and put away wet - which adds to the challenge.

JMM
Last edit: 21 Jul 2019 17:36 by johnmereness.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2019 14:37 #37836 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic New Member
Welcome to the forum and the ACD club.These cars are capable of freeway speeds but at what mph are you thinking? You need to "know your car" too. Engine condition, tune up and coolant system up to the task too. Without actually seeing the car its very difficult to tell you all will be fine. Tire condition is important too. Someone will chime in with more help.

Gary Parsons

• ACD35
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2019 14:25 #37835 by ACD35
New Member was created by ACD35
Hi, I'm a new member and looking at an Auburn 851 Cabriolet near Austin, Texas. Can anyone recommend someone to do a prepurchase inspection near there?
I live in Atlanta, Georgia. Are there any members here who own an Auburn 851 or 852? I've never driven one, and wonder if they can handle highway speeds. Unfortunately, it's not a supercharged car.
Thanks!
Drew