Electric Fuel Pumps

• John Trittschuh
  • John Trittschuh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Nov 2004 22:49 #2526 by John Trittschuh
John Trittschuh created the topic: Electric Fuel Pumps
I am looking in to placing electric fuel pumps in some of my ACD cars. I have one in the Boattail and it runs better than any other. Where can one get in-the-tank fuel pumps for 6 V systems and do you need a pressure controller / where to put it? Don't want to destroy the authenticity but it seems to make a whale of a difference.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2004 13:56 #2529 by PushnFords
PushnFords replied the topic: Electric Fuel Pumps
John-

I'm not aware of any intank 6V pumps. Most electric pumps were mounted externally until the late '80s so I doubt you'll find a 6V version. I usually mount an external pump back by the tank and tuck it in a frame rail to hide it. If you want to hide it more, paint the frame and the bracket the same color as the frame or maybe put a sheetmetal piece over it. If you can't find a 6V pump at a good parts store then Stan can supply you with one. If you get the right pressure rating like he has then you won't need a regulator.

Derek

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
02 Dec 2004 13:49 #2532 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Auburn/Cord Parts replied the topic: Elec. Pumps
You first must find a fuel pump that's compatible with this stuff they call gasoline today. A high percentage of all current electric pumps are not and neither are the fuel pressure regulators. All modern cars have the electric pumps submerged in the tank and this is how they survive. I hate to kill the mocking bird but fuel pump failure and leakage are very serious. These statements are based on our experience with Auburns and Cords brought in for service problems. I think the regulators are even worse than electric pumps. If they have any rubber/neoprene or plastic/nylon parts, they'll fail. I do agree that they're certainly needed.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• 's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Dec 2004 00:59 #2541 by
replied the topic:
John,

With a little bit of research you might get be able to use one of the 12V fuel pumps. Most of the time a 12V pump will run on 6V, just a lower capacity. Depending on what the pump is rated for this may not be a problem.

You will also have to watch out for the polarity. Modern cars are negitive ground and our old stuff is positive ground. Depending on the internal circuitry and design this may not make any difference (that is you may be able to hook it up either way and it will run just as well.)

A few calls to the technical department of the pump manufacturers you should have the answers.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Jim

• Ed Gray
  • Ed Gray's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2005 18:43 #2803 by Ed Gray
Ed Gray replied the topic:
Gail Shaw of California did the mechanical work on my Cord 810 before I moved back east. He put in an electrical fuel pump and it works fine 6 years or more later. When it worked, the pressure regulator made things run fine. However, as noted by others, the pressure regulator has failed. When that happens the float valve in the Stromberg carb is forced open getting more gas around than you want.

• chip wright
  • chip wright's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2005 20:13 #2807 by chip wright
chip wright replied the topic:
John,

Holley makes a variable flow fuel regulator that works in-line. It is adjustable with a screw driver and very easy to use. I have used them on race cars along with the small Holley fuel pumps and have not had any supply problems with them. They are available at most NAPA locations and if not in stock they can usually get them in a day or two.

Good Luck.

Chip Wright

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds