Skip to main content

Recommendation for 812 transmission gear oil

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2018 02:20 #35281 by 1748 S
Jim might be easier to understand what you mean by imput shaft. The lower shaft in the trans actually is the pinnion shaft off the differencial but I feel you know this. When the car is sitting idling its not getting any lube to the upper gears or shaft. The car must be moving on the roads.. I was reading some time ago about the first trans oil pump. It was a small Archimedes type screw pump. It did not work very well but it was better than nothing. Finally we got a proper oil pump and no days we can improve the pressure and volume of oil flow to the top shaft by increasing the depth of the gears in the pump. Henry Portz was well known for this pump modification. I never got to talk with him as to why he felt this modification was needed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2018 23:17 #35279 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Recommendation for 812 transmission gear oil
Hi Bill,
I want to clarify a couple of point from Gary. First the transmission is divided into two sections, the gearbox and the differential. There is a drain plug for each section but the oil does flow freely between the two sections. Hence the one fill point.

The gearbox was originally designed for splash lubrication. The prototype was driven from Auburn to California and back to southern Indiana before the gearbox failed due to lack of lubrication. They then installed an oil pump to lubricate the bushings on the top shaft. The oil pump is driven off the output shaft of the transmission so it is only lubricating the upper shaft when the front wheels are turning.

This is the reason people will tell you not to let a Cord sit in neutral and idle. It's OK to let it idle in neutral for short periods of time but you don't want to do it for long periods.

Jim

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2018 16:41 #35278 by 1748 S
Bill the oil pump or as the factory called it.. The grease pump only pushes oil thru the transmission and the flow path is thru the center of the top shaft. This pump is driven off the lower trans shaft and that only turns when the car is in motion. The bottom shaft actually is the differencial pinnion shaft. It was not a very good design but it works. Remember the original test car that was driven from Auburn to California and back but major trans failure just short of the ending place in Auburn.

• Rileypu29
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2018 14:57 #35276 by Rileypu29
Replied by Rileypu29 on topic Recommendation for 812 transmission gear oil
Thank you Jim and 1748S for your helpful responses. I have ordered the Lubriplate SPO-277, not cheap relative to other gear oils but cheap insurance to help the life of the drive unit.
1748 S, thank you for pointing out the shared oil situation, I will try to remember to drop my "rear wheel drive" nomenclature when referring to the Cord drive unit, this is my first vintage FWD. I have owners manuals etc. for the 812 which explain the need to drain both parts of the drive unit but then fill through one port. I assume the pump takes care of the rest.
Thank you both again.
Bill

Bill Kastanis

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Aug 2018 02:40 #35268 by 1748 S
Thanks for posting this Jim and giving reasons for why you use this oil. Just a note to the original poster. Both the transmission AND The differential actually co- mingle the same oil. But they both have a different level of oil too.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
24 Aug 2018 01:50 - 24 Aug 2018 01:51 #35247 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Recommendation for 812 transmission gear oil
I have had excellent results using Lubriplate SPO 277. One of the things I like about it is that it contains a high tac package. This makes sure the oils stays in the bushings when the car sits for a period of time.

I used it in my sedan which I put over 50,000 miles on with very little noticeable wear. I also used it on Bob McEwan's Cord. He put over 30,000 miles on it, including a cross country trip, when I pulled it apart (for an unrelated problem) the internals of the transmission were excellent.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2018 01:51 by JIM.OBRIEN.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rileypu29

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
23 Aug 2018 23:15 #35246 by 1748 S
Welcome to the ownership of a fine car. I suggest you do a search in the 810 812 forum for what many owners have used and what did not work. I can't tell you what one specific lube is required because several good ones are available. Before deciding please ask if brand A or B or C is better and exactly why.

• Rileypu29
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Aug 2018 20:33 #35245 by Rileypu29
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased an 812 Phaeton and want to refresh all of the lubricants. Can anyone suggest the preferred gear oil to use in the transmission?
Thank you.
Bill

Bill Kastanis