Ethanol makes my cars inoperable

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
11 Jun 2013 15:52 #25390 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
I find that in the Philly suburban area it is virtually impossible to find Any available fuel witout 10 % ethanol~~~

With the new federally imposed mandate the ethanol percentage will soon be going up to 15% !

This is really becomming a major operational issue for me also.

I find that the information on that ethanol free fuel wesite is not at all up to date~~~or accurate !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Jun 2013 19:38 #25391 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic:
Hi Justin,

I checked the site sans the extension at the end of the url. "pure-gas.org" allowed me to search by state, and I found half a dozen sources within 25 miles of Niles, MI, in both Indiana (including the BP that you refered me to) and Michigan. Mostly they are marine-grade gas, which is fine by me, and I don't know--or much care--about the price. I suspect that the classic car hobby will be actively searching out marine-gas suppliers as the ethanol content is increased in our fuels.

I'll have the LaSalle's electric pump run the tank dry (The modern cars will run OK on this stuff), and I'll make a gas can run to one of the stations to bring home 10 gallons to get me going.

As for other contributions to the management of this matter, I have added insulation to the supply and delivery side of the fuel line, insulated the exhaust manifold near the fuel pump, insulated the fuel pump, and--what the heck, I was all greasy by then anyway--pulled the distributor to repair the vacuum advance, (even though the engine was not running hot), installed new points and a new condensor.

I have sketched out an fuel line cooling coil for possible addition between the grille and radiator in front of the engine compartment. Hopefully having pure gas will not make this extreme step necessary!

Thanks to all who have replied to this issue. Ethanol as an issue will not be going away, and our hobby will have to be able to respond to it.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Greg Frownfelter
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
11 Jun 2013 19:52 #25393 by Greg Frownfelter
Greg Frownfelter replied the topic:
try adding a little deisel fuel to the fuel
trans mission fluid seems to work also
this raises the boiling point and helps with the vapor lock
it has worked for me
greg

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
14 Jun 2013 02:45 #25410 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic:
I drive several cars from 1913 to 1967 all over the country with virtually no problem with any fuel I buy, mostly all with ethenal.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
14 Jun 2013 16:12 #25414 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
I'm with Mike, altho I have only one car. There is too much doom and gloom going on, in my opinion. So I speak only for one Cord. Only a few minor concessions:

Rerouted the gas line under the hood to keep it away from the exhaust manifold as much as possible.

Use a Carter rotary vane electric fuel pump, installed at the gas tank.

Bypass the top-mounted fuel pump (it's nothing but a heat exchanger anyway).

Added a phenolic "gasket" under the carb.

Driven many thousands of miles since ethanol became the norm in California 10 years ago, without many problems attributable to fuel. And if it does have a problem with percolation, vapor lock, overheating, etc., stop and let it cool down. It's older than many of the drivers, for heaven's sake!

Drive more, wring hands less.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Tom_Parkinson's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
14 Jun 2013 17:38 #25415 by Tom_Parkinson
Tom_Parkinson replied the topic: Ref: Ethanol problem
Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply, which is very much appreciated and respected.

As my Cord is not running yet (It's ONLY been 63 years since 1950 when it arrived at my dad's house on a hook!), I am planning proactively.

My current experiences, which are establishing my learning curve here, are occuring principally with my 1940 LaSalle. My 37 Buick has less of a problem along these lines, as its fuel pump is on the other side of the engine from the exhaust manifold. But on a hot day, even it asks for a 15 minute break once in a while.

Finding a cure (or a working management protocol) for issues with these cars should help me have my Cord's fuel system adjusted, modified, or whatever it takes, right from its initial start-up. Installing a Carter electric pump, insulating, and re-routing will certainly be easier now than later.

It is my goal to have the Cord self-propelling by the Reunion. I'd like to be comfortable with the knowledge that the potential fuel issues from low-boiling-point ethanol will be alleviated.

Thank you again for your reply, and thank to ALL who have replied. The Club and the Forum asre great sources of info!

--Tom

[edit note]: I just ordered the Carter 6V rotary vane fuel pump.

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: http://mbcurl.me/YCSE

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds