Skip to main content

New Auburn owner saying hello...

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
05 Jun 2012 02:05 #22986 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic 1930 Auburn
Jim,
As I said in an earlier post "Auburn" is that the unit/chassis number on a 1930 is usually found on the front of the frame where the spring attaches.
Usually stamped upside down. On passenger side. this has been common on most if not all of te 1930 Auburns we have certified and also my 1930 8-125 Cabriolet.
Not in the usual place as you have pointed out.

Joel

JEG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
05 Jun 2012 00:09 #22985 by
Replied by on topic New Auburn owner saying hello...
Peter,
Welcome to the ACD Club! I look forward to seeing you and your car at some of our meets.

The GR number is the engine number. It is not uncommon to have the car registered with the engine number instead of the serial number. The engine should have a plate on the left side of the engine. The number should also be stamped on the block in the left front corner above the manifold.

The X-7534 number is the body tag. The body was built by Limousine Body Cmpany of Kalamazoo MI.

There should have been a serial number plate on the floor board, somewhere near the body tag. It looks like this may be long gone. There should be a "unit" number stamped on the frame. If I remember right (I don't have my cheat sheets with me) the number is on the right side of the car, behind the front wheel but check the frame from the front back to the cowl. From this number we can get to the serial number.

CORDially,
Jim

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2012 05:09 #22969 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic New Auburn owner saying hello...
Terrific. Hope to see you around and meet you in person.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• barwick27
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2012 05:03 #22968 by barwick27
Replied by barwick27 on topic New Auburn owner saying hello...
Thanks Chris...I'm hoping to make it over to a few of the events, maybe this year, but if the car is ready next year I'll bring it along.

I forgot to mention that even though I live in Switzerland (I'm originally from the UK), the car will be staying in the US as I intend to do a few road trips and enjoy the car and drive it as they were meant to be used.

cheers

Peter

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2012 04:47 #22967 by Chris Summers
Glad to have you and welcome aboard.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• barwick27
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2012 04:43 #22965 by barwick27
Replied by barwick27 on topic New Auburn owner saying hello...
Thanks Chris, yes I did join the club...it's the first thing I did when I bought the car....and no, I'm not currently in the US but the car is.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2012 23:29 #22963 by Chris Summers
Hi Peter,

If you haven't joined the Club yet, please consider - it's a small price to pay for the amount of technical and historical know-how you'll have opened to you, plus opportunities for a lot of interesting meets and events. Are you in the US?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

• barwick27
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2012 15:44 #22953 by barwick27
New Auburn owner saying hello... was created by barwick27
Hi, I've just bought this 1930 Auburn Cabriolet 8-95 and am new to owning anything like this, so I thought I'd reach out and ask the ACD community for a little help in my research....

I'm told the VIN number (GR22157) and engine number are the same, on the wooden floor there is the number X-7534, if this is of interest to anyone, or maybe you can help me decode the car that would be great.

Does anyone know of a color chart or correct color spec for a 1930 Auburn? We've discovered that under all the red and black paint the original color seems to be a light green and a bright green stripe on the door.

I've been told it might be 'Cat's Eye Green' and 'Cat's Eye Gray' but they seem to be 1929 colors not 1930 colors...can anyone help in my search?

I found an old poster on ebay that seems to be a similar color, but with a darker green stripe on the door and a brown interior...

Even though mine has very little in the way of an interior, I still have enough to see that it had light green leather door panels and the same color leather for the tool pouch...at first I thought the color might be faded over the years, but some of the leather that hasn't seen the light of day is still pale green...were there other interior colors to these cars besides brown or black?

We still have a long way to go, but I hope to have it back on the road next year...

Thanks in advance for any help

Peter