Time Magazine coverage of the 1937 Automobile Show

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
03 Jan 2012 23:20 #21842 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Bill, as I understand it from Steve's comments, yes.

P. 149 shows Don Randall's 1936 Cord 810 Beverly (armchair). P. 213 shows some of Alex Tremulis's Cord front end proposals. It's interesting that Bob would request Alex's signature on the 1936 Cord which was "pure Buehrig." I would suggest that it was intended for Buehrig to sign p. 149 and Tremulis to sign p. 213?

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • ACD Club Past President
More
03 Jan 2012 23:53 #21845 by Josh Malks
Josh Malks replied the topic:
Memories are fallible. Journalists are fallible. So are historians. So are books and magazines, and threads and word-of-mouth. Gordon's memories of what went on at Auburn in 1935 are contradicted by memos and artifacts. Alex thought that Phil Egan's book on the making of the Tucker was rife with errors. I wrote a second Cord book to correct some of what I wrote in the first book and may have gotten some other things wrong the second time around. Even written historical material can often be interpreted in more than one way because the writer is no longer around to say what he meant exactly.

For this new year, may we accept that history is nuanced, and that all of the ACD pioneers who we revere deserve such reverence. Maybe they did such-and-such, maybe they didn't. But what would we have without them?

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
04 Jan 2012 12:04 #21848 by K Clark
K Clark replied the topic: memories
Josh
Boy! Josh I'm with you. I've heard that so much. So in So said So in So said.
K Clark

More
04 Jan 2012 13:15 #21849 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
This is a great thread!

More
04 Jan 2012 14:46 #21851 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic:

alsancle wrote: This is a great thread!

Yes it is! This website and it's contributors have become one of our biggest assets.

My sincere thanks to all involved with its maintenance.

Mike
8-100A

More
16 Jan 2012 02:54 #21929 by dryesandno
dryesandno replied the topic: time magazine coverage of the 1937 new york auto show
this forum is just so cool.....and this thread so interesting......and the contributors so knowledgable with such a wealth of information.

many thanks for these wonderful insights into the very detailed history of the personalities behind the design of our beloved cars.....

we are priviliged to be members of such an amazing club!!!!

ps. might i suggest that portions of this thread be published in an upcoming newsletter if possible. i am sure those members not regularly using this forum would be very interested in this information and the sort of Ripley's Believe it or Not story behind how and when the pipes first arrived on their cars and the mystery that surrounds their first public display.

that picture of the supercharged armchair beverly at the Chicago auto show......i always wondered if there might be a renumbered armchair car that was supercharged in those first few supercharged cars. does anyone know what ever happened to that car?

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds