Skip to main content

TGIF and the worlds oldest Packard owner/driver?

• landmark
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 11:44 #21348 by landmark
Hello,

in Lisboa, Portugal was a Taxi-driver named Augusto A. Macedo, who got his Taxi-Licence in 1928. From that time on he drove a 1927 Oldsmobile (Convertible?) as his Taxi through the traffic of the biggest portuguese city, for almost 70 years.
In 1996 there was a documentary-film made about the (at that time) high in the 90ies aged man and his 1927 Oldmobile. At that time car and driver were still together on duty in the Lisboa Taxi-Buisiness.

Unbelievable story!

The documantary-movie is called "Taxi Lisboa". May you can find it as a Stream on the net.

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 02:13 #21347 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic TGIF and the worlds oldest Packard owner/driver?
No self respecting car guy only belongs to one club! Hope to see your name as a new member soon Greg.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 02:04 #21346 by Greg Riley
Replied by Greg Riley on topic TGIF and the worlds oldest Packard owner/driver?
Alright, I guess that means I'm gonna have to break down and join the club too. At the moment I only belong to one club, and I've been a member since 1978!
GR

Greg Riley

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 00:56 #21345 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic TGIF and the worlds oldest Packard owner/driver?
And you're welcome to bring it to Auburn. I insist upon it, actually.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 00:50 #21344 by Greg Riley
Hopefully by then world's oldest Cord 8/10's driver. Some symmetry there don't ya think?

Greg Riley

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 00:33 #21342 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic TGIF and the worlds oldest Packard owner/driver?
"World's oldest Corvair driver."

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2011 00:19 #21341 by Greg Riley
I love stories like these. If I last that long I'll be just like 'em!
GR

Greg Riley

• silverghost
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2011 05:01 #21334 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Allen Swift's R~R Springfield Roadster Story
My late father, and I, were great friends of the late Allen Swift of Ct. who sadly passed away a few years back at almost 103 years old .
As a graduation gift in 1928 Allen's father offered to buy him ANY new auto he wanted.
He wanted a very sporty & powerful fast roadster.
So~~~
Allen went to the Springfield Mass. factory of Rolls~Royce of America Inc. and ordered a new green Phantom I Picadilly Roadster chassis # S 273 FP.
He watched his personal chassis being built; and also visited the custom coachbuilder to order several unique features on his custom coachwork body.
Allen drove this auto almost every day for the rest of his very long life~~~Rain, Snow, & Shine.
He and his Rolls were often seen on the roads of Hartford Ct & Springfield Mass..
Allen & his roadster were also fixtures at many Rolls~Royce Owner's Club events.
In fact the last time I saw Allen & his Roadster was at a Pennsylvania car event.
He had driven there in the Picadilly Roadster all by himself from his Ct home.

As you might guess~~~ many collectors were angling to buy Allen's roadster~~~for crazy insane money $$$.

BUT~~~
Shortly before his untimely passing, at almost 103 y/o , he donated this great Roadster to the Springfield Mass. Museum of History & Industry.
He also bought a nearby former Bell Telephone building , and renovated it as a new museum addition to house it's expanding collections; along with his beloved Rolls~Royce and a few other autos.
He also donated over a Million $$$ to preserve his great roadster well into the future.

Allen once told Dad , and I, in all seriousness that Rolls~Royce of America Inc. had advertised that this Rolls~Royce $ 15,000 auto would last an owner's entre lifetime; and not just ten years like most other autos.
In Allen's case, at almost 103 y/o, I think that they sure lived up to this very unique sales claim !
Allen had a life long love affair with his Picadilly Roadster.
He said it was the very Best auto he had ever owned.
Allen is in the record books as being the oldest original auto owner since the auto was first delivered new in 1928.
Do a Google Web search for "Allen Swift Rolls Royce " for more details & photos of our old friend Allen and his great Picadilly Roadster.

Allen was a great fellow indeed.
I really miss visiting with our old Rolls~Royce friend Allen Swift~~~
But I can now still visit his old roadster in Springfield Mass. any time I wish now.

R.I.P. Allen Swift

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Greg Riley
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2011 00:57 #21333 by Greg Riley
My friend Hersch sent me a video link about a 101 year old Packard owner who still drives. Visit my blog if you would like to see it.

[url:3393uukn]http://garagedlx.blogspot.com/2011/11/tgif-and-wedding-jitters-mine.html[/url:3393uukn]

You can find the main blog index at [url:3393uukn]http://garagedlx.blogspot.com/[/url:3393uukn]

I'll have a new ACD story coming very soon too!
Happy Friday!
Greg

Greg Riley