Skip to main content

Need Help Identifying Cars before Purchase

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2004 21:46 #1480 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Need Help Identifying Cars before Purchase
THANKS FOR INFO, FROM THE CONDITION I CAN SEE OF THE CARS ALL PRICES ARE TO PUT IT MILDLY TOTALLY UNREALISTIC,AND SAYING ONE CAR BUILT IN THIRTYS AND POWER PLANT NOT INSTALLED UNTIL 70S IN MY OPINION OUTRIGHT LIE.BUT AS YOU SAID YOU WERE JUST PASSING ON INFORMATION.
THANKS AGAIN

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• tbirdz12
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2004 21:00 #1479 by tbirdz12
Replied by tbirdz12 on topic Need Help Identifying Cars before Purchase

• MICHAEL S SMITH
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2004 20:11 #1478 by MICHAEL S SMITH
Replied by MICHAEL S SMITH on topic Need Help Identifying Cars before Purchase
I EMAILED THE SITE WHERE CARS ARE PICTURED AND GOT RETURN THAT BASICALLY SAID "WHAT CARS?"
MIKE

MICHAEL S SMITH ACD LIFE MEMBER #40
851 auburn phaeton
851 auburn sedan
810 cord westchester
812 cord phaeton(ex Tressler Swiss)
812 cord custom s/c beverly
812 cord s/c cabriolet
812 cord s/c beverly
80 866 speedster (pray factory built)

• russv
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2004 19:46 #1477 by russv
Replied by russv on topic saw these cars
I saw these cars awhile ago. The current owner is trying to pass the Duesenbergs off as "continuation" cars. The Cord has a roof from a 1938 Chevy on it. Last I knew the owner was very unrealistic on values.

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
16 Mar 2004 13:52 #1423 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic Need Help Identifying Cars before Purchase

tbirdz12 wrote: Stan

Thanks alot for looking at them. So are you saying they are all replicas or kits.

Bottom line are they worth anything?

Yes, they are all replicars except the customized 1936 Cord. Yes, they have value but not as great as the originals. Quite often, these modern neo-classics are listed in some of the old car value guide books and most banks/insurance co.'s use a book called "Cars of Peticular Interest" which has values on vehicles not in "NADA" or "Kelly Blue Books". The old original Cord that is modified or customized may be of interest to the custom/street rod crowd. Of course, condition is a factor and they need to be runable to get potential buyer's interest. Many Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg owners have replicars as weekend drivers. This group of sleepy time vehicles is still quite a find!

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
16 Mar 2004 00:13 #1422 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic Landau bar on Del-uxe Ccord
Stan, you saw this de-luxe 30 yr?s ago? Was it at you facility? Could you tell some stories of some of the changes you have seen on Cord bodies that people have done then and explain some of the engine swaps you may have seen over the years?

I have seen pictures of this kind of chopping and I cannot believe this was a popular thing to do. There must have been hundreds of Cords around then for this kind of butchery.

It could be corrected with another body, as it is otherwise such a complete car. On the other hand it might be cool to preserve a few examples of this style of customizing. It hurts my eyes to look at that landau bar and cannot believe they would drill a hole in the body for it and all that filler to make up the top!

But if I had it I would paint it red and I would jump in thru the window without opening the door and speed off down the road!

• tbirdz12
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Mar 2004 01:46 #1408 by tbirdz12
when i get a chance ill go back and get some more pics and see what the guy wants for them. Thanks for all the input.

• PushnFords
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2004 14:49 #1396 by PushnFords
Replied by PushnFords on topic Car Values

tbirdz12 wrote: Stan

Thanks alot for looking at them. So are you saying they are all replicas or kits.

Well, anything with wheels is worth buying! The cut down Cord sedan is definately worth something if only for the drivetrain. Complete engines and transmissions are hard to find, especially if they are anywhere near driving condition. I've never seen the car myself to know if any of the body parts are still original or could be restored but there would be value there too. As a complete car.......hard to say. There are always people out there that just want something unique to drive and it doesn't really matter if it is original. I personally think a big block Samco could be fun......enjoy it and not worry about rain, road salt, door dings, ect. like you would in a real car. Those cars look like they could need a lot of work and that would eat the value up quick unless you plan on doing some work yourself. The SAMCO's I've seen on eBay are usually in the 10-20,000 range and the car you found would probably be on the low scale of that. It is very hard to tell by a picture.

Derek

• tbirdz12
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2004 01:59 #1395 by tbirdz12
Stan

• Auburn/Cord Parts
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2004 20:18 #1389 by Auburn/Cord Parts
Replied by Auburn/Cord Parts on topic ACD Replicars
"1935 Auburn Roadster supercharged"
This is a 1935-36 style Boat Tail Speedster replicar.

"1937 Cord Conv"
This is a 1969-70 SAMCO Royale or Warrier depending on engine (Ford small block or Chrysler 440).

"1936 Cord Deluxe"
This is a homemade "Cord DeVille" made out of a 1936 Sedan. I haven't seen this car for 25-30 years. Last I knew it still had the original drivetrain.

"1935 Duesenburg Dual Cowl"
This is a 1929-32 style Duesenberg replicar. I can't see enough to tell the whole story. It is definately not an original car.

"1935 Duesenburg Roadster"
This is probably a 1966-70 Duesenberg SSJ Roadster, Neo Classic built in California on a Dodge truck chassis. I can't see the rear but the front and doors follow this theme.

Stan

Auburn/Cord Parts, Inc. P.O. Box 547 1400 N. "A" St. Wellington, KS 67152 (620) 326-7751 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• tbirdz12
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
08 Mar 2004 00:39 #1384 by tbirdz12
Im not informed with ACD, but came across some cars. Can ya's look at these pick and tell me what im looking at and a ball park value for them. Id like to pick at least one of these up.

Im not sure ive got the names correct.

1936 Cord deluxe
1937 Cord Conv
1935 Dues
1935 Dues Roadster
1935 Auburn Roadster supercharged

thanks
tbirdz